Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Had this issue where my search engines were changed to the Yahoo related Safe Finder / Safer Find.

Malwarebytes got rid of a bunch of related things, but my Safari new window kept defaulting to search.safefinderformac.com, despite changing it manually in Preferences.

I manually dug through ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, first via TextEdit, and found the SafeFind entry, finally.

I then downloaded PlistEdit Pro from https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/, searched the entry there, found it again, and removed the entire entry, beginning with the number.

I also removed all Flash related installers, and entries I couldn't identify in Users/Shared.

MBPro17

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Hi, I am having the same problem and ran the Malwarebytes program too. But Safefinder keeps coming up as my home page on Safari, even though it's not listed in preferences.

Can you or someone else please explain how to do the next steps you mention? How do I get to the Library? What do I have to do? I'm just an end user, I don't know my way around the back end.

Thank you

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
To start: open a Finder window. Hold option on your keyboard, then click Go in the menu bar. You should see Library appear there, click it.

MBPro17

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Thanks, I think I got rid of it.

The people who make these things should be swinging from a rope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.