Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Something I cannot get used to in iOS: in the Contacts app, you start typing a string of letters in the search box, and it pulls up "matching" Contacts in alpha order (as you would expect)... but it doesn't just look in the Name field(s). Instead, it also searches the other fields in each record ("Notes," etc.), and retrieves ALL records with that string in ANY field. As a result, if you have Notes entered for various contacts, you will need to type 2 or 3 more letters than feels necessary in order to "narrow down" the results to the record(s) you're looking for (the ones where just the name matches).

I know this sounds trivial (and it feels that way, writing it out), but I don't remember other platforms working this way. I guess I can understand why one might occasionally want to search the Notes field; but it seems like the vast majority of the time, I'm just looking for a name, and want to find it fast.

(I guess it's one of those iOS quirks; like pressing home button from within an app contained in a folder, and you're taken back to the open folder rather than the homescreen – "How common is that use case??" Must be common enough around Apple HQ that they choose to play it that way...)

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It would be nice to have search more configurable but I'm not sure what platforms don't have it set up this way.

I don't recall Android working this way (as I was surprised by this behavior when I moved to iOS)... Checking Gmail Contacts (on the desktop) now, I see that the autofill suggestions, which come up as you type, also populate only with NAMES matching your search string. It's when you hit "Enter," and get the full list of search results, that you also see records with the matching string in the Notes field (of course, this two-step process doesn't apply to mobile, where the results simply come up as you type).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hey y'all -- this was fixed in iOS9!!

Wow! Very bad. I often search for other fields in my contact. That's very useful. Who's reporting this to Apple? :angry:
WTH are wrong with Apple? Now it only search in First Name, Last Name and Company Name, how stupid is that?
DO-NOT-MAKE-IT-LIKE-STUPID-ANDROID!!!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Wow! Very bad. I often search for other fields in my contact. That's very useful. Who's reporting this to Apple? :angry:
WTH are wrong with Apple? Now it only search in First Name, Last Name and Company Name, how stupid is that?
DO-NOT-MAKE-IT-LIKE-STUPID-ANDROID!!!

Are you trolling? It still searches the other fields too.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Are you trolling? It still searches the other fields too.

No, it doesn't. I used to search, for example, "accountant" and all accountants in my Contact will show up. Now this is not the case. It doesn't search Profession field, and it certainly doesn't search Note field.
The result is different than Yosemite when you search for the same thing.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
No, it doesn't. I used to search, for example, "accountant" and all accountants in my Contact will show up. Now this is not the case. It doesn't search Profession field, and it certainly doesn't search Note field.
The result is different than Yosemite when you search for the same thing.

It searches the Note field for me. There are now two categories of hits - "Top Name Matches" (finally!) and "Other Results." Are you scrolling down to "Other Results"?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It searches the Note field for me. There are now two categories of hits - "Top Name Matches" (finally!) and "Other Results." Are you scrolling down to "Other Results"?

Could you please post screen cap. I didn't see anything you mentioned.

EDIT: OK, I saw it. It definitely doesn't search in Profession or Note for me like it used to. Just Name, Company, and Address.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Could you please post screen cap. I didn't see anything you mentioned.

EDIT: OK, I saw it. It definitely doesn't search in Profession or Note for me like it used to. Just Name, Company, and Address.

Odd, it seems to search all fields for me. I'm syncing with Google Contacts, if that means anything (though it shouldn't).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Odd, it seems to search all fields for me. I'm syncing with Google Contacts, if that means anything (though it shouldn't).

Glad it works for you. I'm using iCloud. If it works with Google Contacts there's no reason it won't work with iCloud. Looks like I got a little bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed with .1 update.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.