Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Parker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
I have been on vacation to Europe for 5 weeks, and I have just returned. Before the vacation, I turned my cellular data off, because I wasn't looking to bust the bank in order to use my phone. Throughout the vacation, my phone always said "Searching..." at the top left. As soon as I arrived at the JFK International Airport in New York, I turned my cellular data on, but my phone still says "Searching..." and even "No Service." As of right now, my iPhone still says "Searching..." and I cannot make phone calls nor connect to LTE (which I have turned on). I have tried every method I could find on the internet, but with no success. I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could help me. Thank you in advance.;) By the way, I use Sprint...

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 291

Bob Parker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
I have been on vacation to Europe for 5 weeks, and I have just returned. Before the vacation, I turned my cellular data off, because I wasn't looking to bust the bank in order to use my phone. Throughout the vacation, my phone always said "Searching..." at the top left. As soon as I arrived at the JFK International Airport in New York, I turned my cellular data on, but my phone still says "Searching..." and even "No Service." As of right now, my iPhone still says "Searching..." and I cannot make phone calls nor connect to LTE (which I have turned on). I have tried every method I could find on the internet, but with no success. I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could help me. Thank you in advance.;) By the way, I use Sprint...
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[doublepost=1501773058][/doublepost]No one wants to help me? :(

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Turning off cellular data doesn't turn off cellular phone service. Your phone should have found a roaming carrier in Europe, unless you explicitly had international roaming turned off. If you had "Searching..." showing all the time you were in Europe, your phone has been having problems for quite some time.

I assume your phone is legitimately purchased, and your Sprint account is in good standing. Therefore, I'd try this, in increasing order of severity:

1) Remove your SIM card from the phone and re-insert it. If this doesn't fix it, then...
2) Go to a Sprint corporate store. Tell them about the issue you're having, and ask them to replace your SIM card. If they can't get your phone working, then...
3) Take the phone to Apple for repair or replacement.

BTW, Sprint now offers free 2G data in most (all?) of Europe, so there was no reason to turn off cellular data. See:
https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-sprint-global-roaming.html

Bob Parker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Turning off cellular data doesn't turn off cellular phone service. Your phone should have found a roaming carrier in Europe, unless you explicitly had international roaming turned off. If you had "Searching..." showing all the time you were in Europe, your phone has been having problems for quite some time.

I assume your phone is legitimately purchased, and your Sprint account is in good standing. Therefore, I'd try this, in increasing order of severity:

1) Remove your SIM card from the phone and re-insert it. If this doesn't fix it, then...
2) Go to a Sprint corporate store. Tell them about the issue you're having, and ask them to replace your SIM card. If they can't get your phone working, then...

BTW, Sprint now offers free 2G data in most (all?) of Europe, so there was no reason to turn off cellular data. See:
https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-sprint-global-roaming.html
Thank you. I think I'm just going to purchase a new SIM card.
[doublepost=1501784544][/doublepost]

I turned off cellular data, because I was visiting Kosovo, which is a partially recognized state, and I didn't think Sprint would cover it.
[doublepost=1501785437][/doublepost]
You compared the imei to the national blacklist or on swappa.
I checked on Swappa.

Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I turned off cellular data, because I was visiting Kosovo, which is a partially recognized state, and I didn't think Sprint would cover it.
A Sprint rate check says $15/MB for Kosovo, so I guess you did the right thing. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.