Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GLTirebiter

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Durham NC USA
I’ve run into issues searching for text in certain PDFs in Books. The search results show accurately, but clicking on a result takes me always to the first page of the document. Anyone else experience this? It may be an issue with the PDF itself, or with Books. only happens with the odd PDF.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What version of macOS? I ask because the current Books opens PDFs with Preview.
Can you provide a link to the problematic PDF? Bit hard to assist if this is a problem with only a few PDFs.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Since the PDF opens in Preview is the problem then that Preview always takes you to the first page? In that case the behavior would appear to be understandable, if unfortunate. Books sees that it has to open a PDF file with Preview. It has no way of knowing where, exactly, you were in reading the PDF. Preview is a separate app so once it launches Books has no knowledge of what it is doing. So it always starts at the beginning.

You could fine an enhancement request.

Addenda: opening a .pdf document with preview from the finder does seem to remember the location. Not sure where this location information is stored and why Books seems not able to use it when using Preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.