Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Seems like a good offshoot. Hopefully it can also help the Aqua GIMP project. I'm going to keep using PSE3, now that I've bought it, but I'd like to see GIMP do good things on Macs, and it's always nice to see OSS go farther than running in X11 (insert shameless plug for how awesome the new cocoa interface for <R> is :D)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
maby I'm missing something here...but for a graphics program they sure have a crappy website. I'm not saying it has to be mind blowing but it should atleast look a little pleasing to the eye. That's just...bleh

MacBandit

macrumors 604
dornoforpyros said:
maby I'm missing something here...but for a graphics program they sure have a crappy website. I'm not saying it has to be mind blowing but it should atleast look a little pleasing to the eye. That's just...bleh

I think their just making an interface for GIMP which is a Unix graphics program.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
After getting over the STEEP photoshop learning curve, I can honestly say that Adobe created a hell of a piece of software. All the features and great organization (once you learn it).

I am morbidly afraid of X11...I just do not want to bother with another gui system ontop of a gui system (think emulator)...thus I've never touched GIMP, though I've heard good things.

Looks like now I'll get my chance (well maybe after this semester from hell is over).

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I downloaded it, and unless I am missing something, it's got nowhere near the power of GIMP yet. They've got a long way to go to make this usable software, but if they implement the full GIMP feature sets with Mac OS X GUI, that will be an impressive accomplishment.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wordmunger said:
I downloaded it, and unless I am missing something, it's got nowhere near the power of GIMP yet. They've got a long way to go to make this usable software, but if they implement the full GIMP feature sets with Mac OS X GUI, that will be an impressive accomplishment.

I don't think they ever will...according to their website, they're leaving that task up to some sort of GIMP Aqua project. I've heard rumblings of such a one, but I think right now, there are just several projects to make GTK, which underpins GIMP, work in Aqua.

It sounds like this project wants to use some GIMP code and contribute some code to GIMP, but to primarily make an app that the author thinks makes sense for the Mac community.... Hmmm.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.