Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Wow, that was fairly long for an OP.

You don’t seem to need an iPhone. For me, the biggest reason is the ecosystem and iMessage. You were fairly clear that neither is relevant to you.

My only concern with Android is that I don’t trust Google as a company and certainly not with privacy. If you’re OK with Google knowing everything you have in your phone and tracking you physically throughout your travels, by all means make the switch.

I take Apple to take on some issues but one thing I feel they get right is Apple’s view on privacy and making it insanely difficult to track users without their acquiescence.
I think you would be surprised how similar both are, almost all forms of "privacy" for apple is negated by icloud. If information is stored anywhere other than your phone, you have no privacy. there was a YouTube video someone posted that demonstrates even if your phone is off, it'll log when the phone moves, enters a car, gets out of the car, goes up steps.. then once the phone is turned on, that information is sent to a server. all phones do this, and you'd be sadly mistaken if you think Apple does this "less"

Reactions: gusmula

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I think you would be surprised how similar both are, almost all forms of "privacy" for apple is negated by icloud. If information is stored anywhere other than your phone, you have no privacy. there was a YouTube video someone posted that demonstrates even if your phone is off, it'll log when the phone moves, enters a car, gets out of the car, goes up steps.. then once the phone is turned on, that information is sent to a server. all phones do this, and you'd be sadly mistaken if you think Apple does this "less"

iCloud is encrypted and you can set location settings in the Privacy settings. I don’t ever recall the FBI suing Google because they couldn’t get in to an Android.

I’m not saying Apple is perfect, just that I trust them more when it comes to user data.

Reactions: kitKAC

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I've been hit twice by T-Mobile's hacks, which sucked, but I'm at peace with the fact that nothing is private anymore. And have since ditched that joke of a company and am forever using prepaid service where I don't need to give these companies all of my info just for stupid cellular service. I actually trust Google more than T-Mobile.

I don't enter my banking info anywhere and never use my debit / ATM card. These two methods alone prevent most of the fraud attempts that are very harmful. Credit card hacks are usually 100% survivable although a giant pain.

Reactions: gusmula

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Frankly the fact that there are only incremental improvements year over year doesn’t matter to me. Why? I’ve had two iPhones over the years - a 5s and a XS Max. One was a major upgrade over the other and I’m happy with the XS Max. Yes eventually I’ll upgrade to the latest and greatest but only when the battery life on my XS Max is significantly reduced or Apple no longer provides OS updates for it. And because I only buy a new phone every five or so years, the price doesn’t matter as much because the cost is amortized over several years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.