Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AshKapow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
We've been given a second hand 2007 iMac but the hard drive was wiped.

Every time we attempt to re-install Mac OS we get an error when entering our iCloud login saying "this item is temporarily unavailable"

We're aware that this is because we don't have the original iCloud login for the iMac (and cannot get it either)

We have tried looking on a lot of forums and can't find much information about resolving the issue (only diagnosing it), we've attempted to load the iCloud website on Safari on the iMac to login but it fails to load (perpetual spinning wheel).

Any idea on how we can wipe the iMac and reinstall it without the original iCloud login?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you are misinterpreting that message. That machine does not support activation lock. It’s asking you for your AppleID credentials to install MacOS from the App Store. Likely you’re trying an OS so old that it isn’t available.

AshKapow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
OK, that makes sense.

Any idea on the best approach to wipe and reinstall Mac OS on this machine?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That’s a very old machine. The last supported version of Mac OS that it runs was Snow Leopard. Try to find a downloadable installer on the internet (I just performed a quick search unsuccessfully). You might be able to use your present Mac to make a bootable USB installer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to re-install the OS, you'll need an Apple install DVD.

I would suggest the "Snow Leopard" 10.6.3 universal install DVD.
I think these still might be sold by Apple.
Or... find one on ebay.
A link:

Or... download the Snow Leopard installer and create a bootable USB flash drive.
Then boot from the flash drive, erase the internal drive, and install a completely fresh copy.

TIP:
If you try to create a bootable flashdrive installer, I would recommend that you try either "DiskMaker X" or "Install Disk Creator" to create it. These are free and make the process much easier.

Reactions: AshKapow

AshKapow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
If you want to re-install the OS, you'll need an Apple install DVD.

I would suggest the "Snow Leopard" 10.6.3 universal install DVD.
I think these still might be sold by Apple.
Or... find one on ebay.
A link:

Or... download the Snow Leopard installer and create a bootable USB flash drive.
Then boot from the flash drive, erase the internal drive, and install a completely fresh copy.

TIP:
If you try to create a bootable flashdrive installer, I would recommend that you try either "DiskMaker X" or "Install Disk Creator" to create it. These are free and make the process much easier.
This was the answer I was looking for!

I had a dmg of this anyway, and used the asr command to write it to USB

sudo /usr/sbin/asr restore --source snowleopard.dmg --target /Volumes/USB --erase

mrgvd

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
true imac 2007 can run el capitan this is what im using at the moment , but looking to buy 2020 imac 27"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.