Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Hello everyone. I have a major issue on my hands.

I have a Mac Mini sever that is split into two partitions. One for the OS and one for files. The "File Share" partition hosts files through Mavericks server.

All of a sudden, out of the blue, the file share partition (File Share) is missing from available drives/partitions in finder, on the desktop and time machine has stopped backing it up entirely.

The only place I can see the partition still exists is in Disk Utility. When I click "open in finder" for the File Share partition, it takes me to the shared folder with all enclosed files. When I click "reveal in finder" for the File Share partition, it takes me to the root of the system, with no "File Share" partition listed.

Meanwhile, all the client computers on the network can still connect to the shared folder without any problems. So I know it exists and is working because I can see it in shared folders, under file sharing, in OSX Server.

All I want is for Time Machine to start backing it up again and thus, I suspect, would mean the partition being visible once again on both my desktop and finder.

Can someone please explain what's going on? Thanks! If this should be moved to the networking forum, please let me know.

Attachments

• File Share 1.JPG
    File Share 1.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
  • FIle Share 2.JPG
    FIle Share 2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 115
  • File Share 3.JPG
    File Share 3.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 152
  • File Share 4.JPG
    File Share 4.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 136
  • File Share 5.JPG
    File Share 5.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Last edited:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
The above method did not work. I still have no idea what caused the issue.

This is what I ended up doing:
1. Created a new backup of my file share.
2. Moved all the files from the file share partition to the OS partition.
3. Removed the file share partition in disk utility and expanded OS partition.
4. Added the new file share (OS partition) folder in Mavericks server.
5. Corrected the alias to the shared on all client machines.

It's not the fix I was looking for, but it's the solution I ended up taking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.