Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
So here's a question that I was unable to find an answer to.

I have an iPhone XS Max that is carrier-locked to Simple Mobile in the US. I don't mind the carrier lock since I intend on using it on the Simple Mobile network for the forseeable future and have their SIM card installed accordingly. I've only purchased the iPhone recently so there is no way for me to unlock the phone for another ~11 months or so. Since I travel abroad quite frequently for business (or rather used to and will once again when allowed to) I also have a secondary o2 SIM card that I use when in Europe. Before switching to Simple Mobile I used to simply take out my AT&T SIM from my unlocked iPhone X and install the o2 SIM instead. I realize that I can't do that now with the carrier locked iPhone. I do, however, have the possibility to repace my current o2 SIM card with an o2 eSIM.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not I would be able to use that one as secondary SIM in my carrier-locked iPhone XS Max as long as I keep the primary Simple Mobile SIM card installed as well? I've contacted Simple Mobile by phone and chat but they don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of secondary SIM cards and dual SIM phones. The only answer I keep getting over and over again is that I cannot use my o2 SIM card instead of the Simple Mobile SIM card as long as the phone is carrier-locked. However, they are unable to tell me what will happen if I need the Simple Mobile SIM installed and simply add a secondary non-Simple Mobile eSIM.

Has anyone attempted something like this in the past?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of a locked phone?

Locked phones are subsidized by the service fees. If you’re able to use another carrier (local or roaming), I’m not sure how that makes sense.

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
This is the first time I ever bought a locked phone. The price was too good to pass up on it, especially considering that I was about to switch to Simple Mobile anyway.

I also realize that I need to use the carrier that the phone is locked to, which I am. I have no intentions of taking the Simple Mobile SIM card out of that phone for the forseeable future. I would simply like to add another SIM for use abroad where Simple Mobile doesn't even offer coverage or any sort of service at all (no roaming).

Guess I'll have to live with the fact that this isn't possible for another 11 months until I can get it unlocked. Not like I am going to travel anytime soon anyways. Thanks.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I understand the logic in this case, but there are too many loopholes if the eSIM were unlocked. For example, you could sell the device to someone living in Europe and they would not be affected by the lock. A carrier in Canada for example, can offer a roaming service in the U.S. There is no system in place for the iPhone to confirm it has a Simple Mobile SIM card installed and an active service plan. Even then, the carrier would need to set a threshold. Would the eSIM unlock only if the customer is on a $50 plan? Or would a $20 plan be enough?

nicmart

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I understand the logic in this case, but there are too many loopholes if the eSIM were unlocked. For example, you could sell the device to someone living in Europe and they would not be affected by the lock. A carrier in Canada for example, can offer a roaming service in the U.S. There is no system in place for the iPhone to confirm it has a Simple Mobile SIM card installed and an active service plan. Even then, the carrier would need to set a threshold. Would the eSIM unlock only if the customer is on a $50 plan? Or would a $20 plan be enough?
Carriers are protected by the contract that requires that you pay the full prices for a phone that has been discounted. They would lose little or nothing at worst.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Carriers are protected by the contract that requires that you pay the full prices for a phone that has been discounted. They would lose little or nothing at worst.

They aren't. Simple Mobile is a no-contract, prepaid carrier.

Reactions: Azathoth123

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
SIM locking seems to be a US-centric problem (and Japan). In Asia, nobody is selling locked phones, and carriers still have contracts without issues. When carriers have healthier competition about selling services instead of selling phones, carrier locking makes no sense as it only punishes your own customers.

Reactions: arkitect

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
SIM locking seems to be a US-centric problem (and Japan). In Asia, nobody is selling locked phones, and carriers still have contracts without issues. When carriers have healthier competition about selling services instead of selling phones, carrier locking makes no sense as it only punishes your own customers.

SIM locking makes perfect sense if the carrier is basically giving you a loan for an expensive phone by adding a fee to your monthly service bill.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
SIM locking makes perfect sense if the carrier is basically giving you a loan for an expensive phone by adding a fee to your monthly service bill.
Contracts are not exclusive to the US. Countries like Singapore also have carriers offering discounted or free handsets for a postpaid contract, yet the phones are all unlocked.

SIM locking makes no sense. When I make a contract with the carrier for a postpaid plan, it’s between me and the carrier. The device has nothing to do with it. Even if I sell the device on the second day I get it, I still need to fulfill the contract length.

Reactions: dustin_

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Prepaid carriers in the U.S. don't have contracts. Anybody can buy an iPhone 11 for $299 and walk out the door without signing anything.

You either sell them locked with no contracts. Or sell unlocked with a contract. There are pros and cons to both strategies.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I would suspect that they are not financing your phone?
The phone is sold at a discount or even free, with the exchange of a contract. Same deal, except the phones are unlocked. No problems. So US carriers, from my perspective, is only doing it to screw their own customers, or as anticompetitive measures.

Reactions: dustin_

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
The phone is sold at a discount or even free, with the exchange of a contract. Same deal, except the phones are unlocked. No problems. So US carriers, from my perspective, is only doing it to screw their own customers, or as anticompetitive measures.

What does ‘with the exchange of a contract’ mean, just changing service providers? Just curious.

That may well be true, but it is important to remember that US carriers cannot lock YOUR phone. They can lock THEIR phone. And it is theirs until it’s paid off, if they made you a loan.

They can, and do, unlock financed phones under certain conditions, like military or diplomatic personnel assigned to areas where the US carrier cannot provide service.

KilRxMiller

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2022
I'm more concerned with why this guy first said he travels frequently for business, but when he responds to an answer from another user he says, "I'll just have to live with it for the next 11 months, not like I'm going to be travelling anytime soon anyway". If you're trying to find a bypass to a carrier lock because you didn't pay your bill or whatever reason, just say so..... I don't think the cell phone police are perusing this forum to nab someone trying to find a workaround. Just saying!!

• Haha
Reactions: ian87w

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Nope. It’s the device that’s locked, not the SIM. If you purchased the new device unlocked, it doesn’t matter what the status of the previous device was when you move the Sim or esim.

Reactions: Wags

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Does anyone have a list of carriers and their corresponding carrier NUMBERS?

I purchased a third party phone, was to be AT&T locked and it says I think locked, and Carrier 53.0 Is there some way to tell WHICH carrier that is?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Does anyone have a list of carriers and their corresponding carrier NUMBERS?

I purchased a third party phone, was to be AT&T locked and it says I think locked, and Carrier 53.0 Is there some way to tell WHICH carrier that is?
I don't know the answer to your question but just to be a data point:

My Verizon ESIM says: Carrier: Verizon 53.0
My Mint Mobile ESIM says: Carrier: Ultra/Mint Mobile 53.0

When I go to Settings --> General --> About

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.