Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bookbuyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Greetings all! I am wondering if some genius programmer/tinkerer has figured out a way to install one of the latest versions of Firefox on OS 10.9.5 ("Mavericks")?

As you all know, the latest version of Firefox that can be downloaded and installed on Mavericks is the ESR ("extended release") Version 78.15.0esr, and if you try to download and install anything more recent, you'll get that "installer-icon-with-a-line-through-it" that won't install and a lovely error message saying you need a newer operating system.

Of course, I already know the "proper solution" is to get a newer operating system that allows newer browsers, etc., etc., etc., so for all intents and purposes, my question may be considered purely academic.

Thank you in advance!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
this is why most  users keep or save programs like
ad blocker, pages, mungers and previous releases of web browsers
on a separate drive as well as a tiemmcihine or the backup.

seems to me Firefox and opera should not have to maintain or provide for those older os(x)s.

as far as a GitHub or patcher for Firefox on mavericks could be programmed by some garage tech,
I dont see that brewing down th internet for demand.

PS do you need an old copy of a Mavericks web bowser?

bookbuyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
I appreciate the time you took to reply, thank you for that. But my post is all about getting a recent version of Firefox for my Mavericks operating system.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Greetings all! I am wondering if some genius programmer/tinkerer has figured out a way to install one of the latest versions of Firefox on OS 10.9.5 ("Mavericks")?
You could easily copy a current Firefox to a Mavericks computer, but it won't run, and there's no magic trick to make that happen.

bookbuyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Thank you for your reply. I wish I could delete my original post -- based on the replies I've received, it seems I have worded my post so poorly it cannot be understood.
If someone wants to help me word this better, I would appreciate it:
"Greetings all! I am wondering if some genius programmer/tinkerer has figured out a way to install one of the latest versions of Firefox on OS 10.9.5 ("Mavericks")?"

• Angry
Reactions: N69AP

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for your reply. I wish I could delete my original post -- based on the replies I've received, it seems I have worded my post so poorly it cannot be understood.
If someone wants to help me word this better, I would appreciate it:
"Greetings all! I am wondering if some genius programmer/tinkerer has figured out a way to install one of the latest versions of Firefox on OS 10.9.5 ("Mavericks")?"
Regardless of how it's worded, you can't run more recent versions of Firefox on Mavericks.

Reactions: N69AP

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I am running an older version of Firefox on Snow leopard and Mountain Lion
for someone to hack Firefox for mavericks is not worth the effort.
if you did get Firefox 2023 to run in Mavericks, that is great!
If you expect someone to do so, that most likely wont happen.

nice post tho!

fanfzero

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
For the record, I was able to run an unsupported version of logic pro X on Lion (minimum version was Mountan Lion) by showing package contents and changing some info on one of those texts files (I think one of the values was min osx version), it worked perfectly on a few versions but then the bug was fixed and the program crashed as soon as it was open

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
No secret, newer firefox probably makes use of apis/libc calls unavailable on older osx. If you want gecko engine, probably best bet is to use palemoon which still supports 10.9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.