Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jglove42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
I know how to "Leave this conversation", but there has got to be a way to do it without it leaving a notification that you have left. I'd like to leave this group chat (an annoying family one) without anyone seeing that I obviously left. And before you tell me "well they can just look at the list of who is in the group chat", I don't care about that. My family are technology illiterate, and wouldn't even know how to do that, so I just would like to leave the iMessage group without it saying "John Doe has left the conversation". I'm convinced that there is a work around for this somehow.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Rather than leave why don you mute it??
I know how to "Leave this conversation", but there has got to be a way to do it without it leaving a notification that you have left. I'd like to leave this group chat (an annoying family one) without anyone seeing that I obviously left. And before you tell me "well they can just look at the list of who is in the group chat", I don't care about that. My family are technology illiterate, and wouldn't even know how to do that, so I just would like to leave the iMessage group without it saying "John Doe has left the conversation". I'm convinced that there is a work around for this somehow.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
Take one of their phones. Leave the chat from your phone. Then send a lot of messages from your family member's phone so the notification that you left gets buried deep. It's not guarenteed to work and you need physical access to another device, but that's my best plan for you.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As has already been said, you have 3 options--no more and no less.
  1. Deal with it.
  2. Put the conversation on "do not disturb" & periodically delete the thread.
  3. Leave the group & actually deal with your family instead of avoiding confrontation.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Duplicate some of the images a few times. screenshot the photos app view of these. Use as justification if needed and just say the group chat was causing issues including running out of space, and that you got to the stage you had lots of duplicate images messing your phone.you did problem solving with some tech folk who advised to sign out of the group chat to solve the problem as they couldn't solve the reason why it was causing hassle to you.
?

dumbCookie

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2021
if you change your iMessage name and leave, then change you name back, no one will know you left because it will say, for example, don hoover left this conversation instead of jglove42 left this conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.