Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Hi,

I have the following challenge: For the moment I am still holding on to my 7+ waiting for the 13.... (so far I couldn't be motivated to upgrade).
Issue is that my 7+ has become a bit glitchy and slow, overheating etc... so I was thinking about backup it up (iCloud or on the my Mac?), reset it to factory settings and then put everything back on from the backup.

What is so far stopping me is the following: For work I have a handful of banking aps etc on it which are rather 'sensitive', for example they are IMEI locked and wouldn't work if I loaded them from the backup to a new phone. Here I keep the same phone but I am still wondering, what kind of issues can I expect by doing so or will all just work as before? Or is it a lost case anyway and the phone is just too old to run IOS14 well. The battery is by the way not the issue, the phone is actually not that old, after a battery service some 18 months ago I got a new (refurbished) device from Apple - battery health is now 92%

Thanks for all hints, ideas... I just need it to keep going without going crazy for another few months...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I suggest getting clarify from the IT department before proceeding.

Do you mean MDM locked by your company? If the apps are in fact registered to the IMEI of the phone, they should work again after doing a restore. If it is MDM locked by your company, confirm policy ( restoring the phone) with the IT department.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Thanks for your answer, but it's not a question of company locked but locked by certain banks.
To put my question simply: when I make a backup (Mac or iCloud), completely erase the device and set it up like new, then reload the backup, will everything be exactly like before or will certain apps require re-authentication etc?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
All your banking apps will require re-authentication. You will not be able to just pick them up and continue to login and use them as normal. How much of the process you need to complete depends on the bank, and their app. Previously for some I have had to just log back in, for others I have had to follow the complete setup process from the beginning (emailing me codes to insert into the app, etc).

It really does depend on the bank and the app - only way to know is to try it......

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
All your banking apps will require re-authentication. You will not be able to just pick them up and continue to login and use them as normal. How much of the process you need to complete depends on the bank, and their app. Previously for some I have had to just log back in, for others I have had to follow the complete setup process from the beginning (emailing me codes to insert into the app, etc).

It really does depend on the bank and the app - only way to know is to try it......
Thanks that was my fear. Don't really want to try it out and then having to go for all that again when I will (hopefully) buy the iPhone13 in a few months... I guess I will have to just survive with this slow thing a bit longer :-/

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
If you stored your passwords in Keychain you should be able to re-authenticate pretty easily. You may have to log into individual apps again with password and username to get a new security token from each bank, maybe use a bank-generated authentication PIN they'll send via text or email. You'll also have to re-enable Face ID for each app. I've done it and it's a very minor pain. Worth the couple minutes per app to re-secure everything.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for your answer, but it's not a question of company locked but locked by certain banks.
To put my question simply: when I make a backup (Mac or iCloud), completely erase the device and set it up like new, then reload the backup, will everything be exactly like before or will certain apps require re-authentication etc?
You will have to inoput your username and password again.

The way you worded your OP made it sound like your phone was locked down.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
You will have to inoput your username and password again.

The way you worded your OP made it sound like your phone was locked down.
No, not at all, it is free as a bird. Just have a couple of quite secure banking apps on it that I want to easily install again, just don't want to deal with a big hassle since I plan on upgrading soon anyway. (although if latest rumours are correct, iPhone13 also won't have Touch ID :( )

rickyalan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
The backup stores all data of Apps, it may require authentication after restoring depends on individual app.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Hi,

I have the following challenge: For the moment I am still holding on to my 7+ waiting for the 13.... (so far I couldn't be motivated to upgrade).
Issue is that my 7+ has become a bit glitchy and slow, overheating etc... so I was thinking about backup it up (iCloud or on the my Mac?), reset it to factory settings and then put everything back on from the backup.

What is so far stopping me is the following: For work I have a handful of banking aps etc on it which are rather 'sensitive', for example they are IMEI locked and wouldn't work if I loaded them from the backup to a new phone. Here I keep the same phone but I am still wondering, what kind of issues can I expect by doing so or will all just work as before? Or is it a lost case anyway and the phone is just too old to run IOS14 well. The battery is by the way not the issue, the phone is actually not that old, after a battery service some 18 months ago I got a new (refurbished) device from Apple - battery health is now 92%

Thanks for all hints, ideas... I just need it to keep going without going crazy for another few months...
Simple and Complex answer in 2024: No. Even though Apple says that a password secured backup should restore even sensitive info, it doesn't. For most modern financial apps (banking, brokerage, etc), they detect a backup restore and reset their token for the devices. Due to this, you'll have to manually login into every one of these apps again. There's no way around it.
It doesn't matter if the encrypted backup was on icloud or your local PC through itunes - individual apps programmed to detect restore will not be restored with the same data.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Simple and Complex answer in 2024: No. Even though Apple says that a password secured backup should restore even sensitive info, it doesn't. For most modern financial apps (banking, brokerage, etc), they detect a backup restore and reset their token for the devices. Due to this, you'll have to manually login into every one of these apps again. There's no way around it.
It doesn't matter if the encrypted backup was on icloud or your local PC through itunes - individual apps programmed to detect restore will not be restored with the same data.
Doesn't even matter if you restore to the same physical phone - likely they'll need re-authentication. It isn't really all that big a deal. Just sign in, the app generates a new "Token" with the bank, Bob's your uncle.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Doesn't even matter if you restore to the same physical phone - likely they'll need re-authentication. It isn't really all that big a deal. Just sign in, the app generates a new "Token" with the bank, Bob's your uncle.
It is a big deal. Apple's claim of "seamless" restore from backup is a pure lie. Its not seamless. Its a pain when you have to it with multiple apps, that too under 2-factor authentication. Some apps need to send an SMS from you phone to activate. It is a big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.png
    IMG_5347.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.