Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monologue0283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
I'm not able to find anything saying if this will work or not. I have a bunch of Intel iMacs to erase company data off of then get rid of. They were setup before I got here, and they were setup without FileVault. If I turn FileVault ON, let it encrypt then forget the password and reinstall whichever version of macos, is the data "gone"? I get that it wouldn't be DOD gone, but I'm not looking for that level, just gone enough that an average person won't be able to recover the data.

My other thought is to boot them all in recovery mode with diskutil wiping them, or maybe Target Disk Mode daisy chained and running shred/nwipe from a Linux box.

Yes, I asked why there was no FileVault but that's another discussion.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Turning FileVault on should be sufficient. It'll go through and encrypt the disk. Then wipe and re-install macOS.

I'm assuming these are older Macs, but if they happen to be the 2020 iMacs with the T2 chip, then the disk is already encrypted even if FileVault is off. In that case, just erase/wipe and re-install macOS; it'll generate a new encryption key.

Reactions: chabig

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
In the past, I have used the "hdparm" command via a Linux LiveCD according to the following guide to trigger a SSD Secure Erase on various Intel machines, including a MBP.

Monologue0283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
In the past, I have used the "hdparm" command via a Linux LiveCD according to the following guide to trigger a SSD Secure Erase on various Intel machines, including a MBP.

I think iStorm answered it, that encrypting should be enough. I just didn't know if it would do the trick is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.