Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davids9317

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2021
Hello,
I'm using Big Sur 11.4, I just changed the (MacBook Air) login password and straight away I can't get access to my Secure Notes in Keychain Access, the old password doesn't work either.

I changed the password back to what it was originally and that didn't work either. I tried creating a new Secure Note as an experiment and I can't access that either, neither password works.

Does anyone have any idea on what's going on and how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Dave.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Are you syncing your Keychain with iCloud? If so, I'd remove your iCloud account and add it back. Then turn back on Keychain sync. Pay careful attention to the prompts when you turn on Keychain sync. As they may be asking for your iCloud password or a password of another device already connected to Keychain. Not your Macbook's password.

If you don't have another device like an iPhone logged into iCloud too. I'd first login to the iCloud website to make sure your iCloud password works. Plus verify your reset information is correct in your Apple account. Before removing iCloud from your Macbook.

When you remove iCloud access. Check authorized devices from your other Apple device or the website. Just to make sure no legacy computers or devices are still associated with your account.

davids9317

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2021
Thanks for your help, it worked after logging out of iCloud on my Mac and iPhone then logging back in again, I had to restart my computer before it accepted the new password. I bet a hacker would find it easier than me to access my secure notes!

Thanks,

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.