Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I've asked this before, but it's been a while, and maybe things have changed.

My mom needs a couple of security cameras. They should be wireless, battery operated, and outdoor. I'd also like to see HKSV, and NO subscriptions.

What's a good choice? I'm thinking Eve, but I have no idea.

She has an AppleTV, though she'll probably need to get a network extender to reach the cameras.

Are there other questions I should be asking? Thanks!

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Eufy. Specifically, EufyCam 2C with the home base. I have 3 of the 2C cameras with the home base and so far, they've done a fairly good job. HKSV integration is seamless BUT be warned, when you enable HKSV on Eufy cameras, you lose some of the functionality from the Eufy app. For example, you can setup motion detection zones in the Eufy app but you either have to re-do those same zones in the Home app OR they're disabled all together by the Home app.

As for a network extender, depends on how big her house is. I'm in an 900ft sq apartment and all of my cameras talk to my Apple TV no problem. If she's using a modern router, the range should be fine.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Eufy. Specifically, EufyCam 2C with the home base.
Thank you for the response. Honestly, I expected a few more responses in this forum.

Anyway, Eufy was my first consideration, but their newest cameras aren't HKSV compatible, and it made me wonder if Eufy is not committed to the Apple ecosystem. But, I'll give another look to Eufy. Thanks!

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Thank you for the response. Honestly, I expected a few more responses in this forum.

Anyway, Eufy was my first consideration, but their newest cameras aren't HKSV compatible, and it made me wonder if Eufy is not committed to the Apple ecosystem. But, I'll give another look to Eufy. Thanks!
Their commitment to the apple ecosystem is not their top priority. If anything, the integration they do have with HKSV is begrudgingly at best. I think they realized how much of a pain it is to have their cameras work within the rules of HKSV. I'm not saying it's impossible for a manufacturer, but it is kind of ridiculous the amount of hoops you have to jump through for HKSV.

Even after you setup HKSV with the Eufy cameras, you will see little notices and warnings in the Eufy app about "Due to HKSV limitations, <feature> will not work while camera is connected to HomeKit. If you wish to use this feature, remove camera from HomeKit".

So while I'm recommending Eufy cameras for their HKSV integration, I'm also letting you know that there will be headaches and many swear words when you have Eufy cameras working with HomeKit. Just a fact.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.