Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
Good morning, everybody!

I recently started using my 1.33GHz 15-inch PowerBook G4 when the video card in my Early 2011 MacBook Pro decided to play dead. I'm supremely impressed by how much I can still do on Leopard :)

One thing I've noticed while surfing the web is that WebKit is constantly telling me that certificates for many sites aren't signed by a trusted authority.

Is there a place to find and install the latest certificates? Can I export them from a newer Intel-based Mac and import them into Keychain on the PowerBook?

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
This might not be the problem, but still worth asking: Is the time on your PowerBook set correctly? I know that browsers will complain about certificates if the clock is set wrong, as a certificate is valid in a specific time period, and if that period is in 2017 while the computer's date defaulted back to 2001, the browser takes that as not valid. Again, it probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a shot!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Good morning, everybody!

I recently started using my 1.33GHz 15-inch PowerBook G4 when the video card in my Early 2011 MacBook Pro decided to play dead. I'm supremely impressed by how much I can still do on Leopard :)

One thing I've noticed while surfing the web is that WebKit is constantly telling me that certificates for many sites aren't signed by a trusted authority.

Is there a place to find and install the latest certificates? Can I export them from a newer Intel-based Mac and import them into Keychain on the PowerBook?

The Leopard WebKit .dmg file includes a series of shell scripts. One of them updates the security certificates to those used in Mac OS X 10.9 (If I recall correctly). Download the disk image again and run the scripts. There is one to disable IPv6 on all network interfaces, I found this sped things up significantly by preventing DNS lookup delays.

-AphoticD

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
The Leopard WebKit .dmg file includes a series of shell scripts. One of them updates the security certificates to those used in Mac OS X 10.9 (If I recall correctly). Download the disk image again and run the scripts. There is one to disable IPv6 on all network interfaces, I found this sped things up significantly by preventing DNS lookup delays.

-AphoticD

Brilliant! Thanks, mate!!!
[doublepost=1500035438][/doublepost]
This might not be the problem, but still worth asking: Is the time on your PowerBook set correctly? I know that browsers will complain about certificates if the clock is set wrong, as a certificate is valid in a specific time period, and if that period is in 2017 while the computer's date defaulted back to 2001, the browser takes that as not valid. Again, it probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks for the advice :) I doubt I would have ever thought of that.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
The latest LWK 603.3.3 has certificates from OS X Sierra 10.12.

Well that's even better!

I've seen references to a Tiger edition of WebKit, but can't find anywhere to download. Does anyone know about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.