Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Hey all,

I might sound like a Luddite here, but thinking more about those airtags gives me a bit of an iffy feeling.

Apple have addressed some security concerns, but I feel there are others that aren't answered:

1. Suppose a stalker puts one in my backpack. My iPhone won't notify me until I'm home, at which point the stalker effortlessly found out my home address. They also have a high degree of certainty that the shared location is indeed your home location if you disable the tracker once you get home.

2. Suppose a stalker puts one in my backpack, but I don't have an iPhone. My Android phone won't notify me, obviously, so for three days, until the tracker starts beeping, I might be disclosing my location to an unknown person.

I know that this is an American forum and the notion that some people might use Android phones seems foreign, but in Europe and in much of the rest of the world, iPhones have a much lower marketshare.

I realise, of course, that both of these things were possible long before AirTags, but there's a degree of escalation here, because you can achieve sophisticated tracking with a tiny investment and zero technical know-how.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Hey all,

I might sound like a Luddite here, but thinking more about those airtags gives me a bit of an iffy feeling.

Apple have addressed some security concerns, but I feel there are others that aren't answered:

1. Suppose a stalker puts one in my backpack. My iPhone won't notify me until I'm home, at which point the stalker effortlessly found out my home address. They also have a high degree of certainty that the shared location is indeed your home location if you disable the tracker once you get home.

2. Suppose a stalker puts one in my backpack, but I don't have an iPhone. My Android phone won't notify me, obviously, so for three days, until the tracker starts beeping, I might be disclosing my location to an unknown person.

I know that this is an American forum and the notion that some people might use Android phones seems foreign, but in Europe and in much of the rest of the world, iPhones have a much lower marketshare.

I realise, of course, that both of these things were possible long before AirTags, but there's a degree of escalation here, because you can achieve sophisticated tracking with a tiny investment and zero technical know-how.
You raise some pretty paranoid points (IMHO) ….. if you are that worthy of tracking then my suggestion would be to have your backpack swept for trackers before you reach home. ;)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
1. What's stopping a stalker just following you without a tracker?

Plus point you would have a free tracker.

Reactions: matrix07

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
OP,

What you mentioned is certainly possible. If someone is that intent on tracking you, it really doesn't matter if you have AirTags or not, in my opinion. Privacy and safety should be at the top of our lists. At the same time, we shouldn't allow those things to keep us from doing what we want.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You can report this to police, have police contact Apple with evidence which is AirTag in your bag and have Apple identify who’s the owner and sue him.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
If someone is that intent on tracking you, it really doesn't matter if you have AirTags or not, in my opinion.
I addressed that point. Certainly stalking is already possible, but this makes it extremely easy, even if you have no means or technical know how.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
You raise some pretty paranoid points (IMHO) ….. if you are that worthy of tracking then my suggestion would be to have your backpack swept for trackers before you reach home. ;)
I'm not concerned about being tracked / stalked myself.

I'm concerned about a world where people walk around permanently disclosing their location to strangers unwillingly and unwittingly. It's one thing to give that information to Apple or Google and quite another to give it to "Pedo Pete the Subway Wanker".

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Hey all,

With every new technology there a possibility of abuse. Sadly we may hear about such abuses in the coming months or years, but that risk doesn’t, or shouldn’t negate the greater good it provides.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

I'm concerned about a world where people walk around permanently disclosing their location to strangers unwillingly and unwittingly. It's one thing to give that information to Apple or Google and quite another to give it to "Pedo Pete the Subway Wanker".
Fair enough ….. but your original post talks about you, your backpack and your home

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Why won't it notify you until you are home?

This is possible, of course, depending on how far away from home you are when the tag is planted, but in most cases I expect it will notify before that.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Being an American, my solution would be my Glock 43X I carry at all times.
But that’s an American thing. ?

Makendu

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
If you read the documentation Apple put out about this, you would not need to post this and have the information you need.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Hey all,

Tile have existed for several years and have even less privacy functions. And Tile are equally cheap and easy to use and they won't beep after three days.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Tile have existed for several years and have even less privacy functions. And Tile are equally cheap and easy to use and they won't beep after three days.
Yeah but 99% of phones won't be running the tile app to trace it, unlike nearly every iphone will allow tracking

Reactions: xmach

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So wait. You're concerned that if you have an Android phone and there are no other Apple devices in your home that the AirTag will report your home to the stalker without you knowing? How would that happen? The AirTag can only report location via Apple devices. If there are none around then your location won't be reported. This is kind of a "If a tree falls in the woods," scenario if you ask me.

Reactions: DVDxR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.