Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Came across an interesting Twitter thread about how security conscious Apple’s M1 is relative to Intel.

The thread continues for awhile, has multiple sub threads, and is an interesting read overall. Simplified TLDR: basically while no system is perfect, security is much tighter in Apple’s SOC than anything from Intel with each component and coprocessor, even supposedly secure ones, being behind their own “firewalls” (of sorts actually IOMMUs which handles memory transactions and IO - literally standing for Input Output Memory Management Unit) and untrusted by every other component and coprocessor … and no obviously bad choices like the Intel Management Engine. AMD has a similar system to Intel, but I don’t *think* it’s been found to be quite as vulnerable.

Reactions: BlindBandit

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yep, from all we know Apple Silicon is designed with security in mind. Another example is its Thunderbolt implementation, where attached devices are isolated using hardware firewalls.

But then again, no implementation is perfect and M1 is just as affected by various timing attacks (e.g. Spectre).

Last edited:

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Mother example are it’s Thunderbolt implementation, where attached devices are isolated using hardware firewalls.
Can you share some source on this? I'm curious to know their Thunderbolt implementation.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Can you share some source on this? I'm curious to know their Thunderbolt implementation.

Apple mentioned it in some of the last year's WWDC Apple Silicon presentations, and then there is the Asahi Linux team, with a lot of information provided by Hector Martin (his tweet is in the first post). But I am not aware of any official information, Apple doesn't disclose any details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.