Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hulkmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
I read an interesting article about how Windows programs such as "Evidence-Eliminator" don't really do the trick, and that they're a hoax, etc., on slashdot.com. Can anyone lead me to some information on securing my Apple computer for my kids and for my work-from-home company? There is an option in Safari called "Reset Safari" that erases the cache, history, cookies, and file download history. I am sure this doesn't do the trick as in "kill" file, as I've read that files still remain on the hard drive even after deletion. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated? Thanks

hulkmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Two more questions

Apple suggests "Third party software" or "zeroing data with the start-up disk." They go on to suggest that "Secure Empty Trash" in OS 10.3 will do the trick as well. My two new questions: (1.) Does "Secure Empty Trash" zero out all data? (2.) Is there any "third party software" out there that anyone can recommend that overwrites or randomizes the "available" portion of your disk on an ongoing basis?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Ack, i honestly dont know. I am not sure how secure empty trash works. Someone with more knowledge exists around these parts, just keep bumping this thread till they take notice :)

Good luck

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
If you have FileVault turned on, and you reset Safari, you may be protected. Who knows?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Securely Delete Files.
You can securely delete files — they’re overwritten with the same 7-pass algorithm approved by the Department of Defense — by choosing “Secure Empty Trash” in the Finder preferences.
from here.

Also, when you've reset Safari it takes quite an effort, from professionals, with professional equipment to restore those data. If you enable FileVault, which use 128 bits AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), that makes a disk image of all users home folder, that have it enabled, and actually does a kind of defragmentation of your home folder whenever you have changed sufficient data (almost every time you log out). With this on you are about as safe as you can, on ANY system...

Edit: Parental Control will be a feature in tiger...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Lz0 said:
You should set up different accounts for your children.
That is very good advice... why didn't I think of that... :eek:

Make your own the only Admin account and set up one (limited) account for each of your kids. Check out the choices under "Limitation" in the System Preferences -> System -> Accounts, when you have made new accounts. You can choose between "No limits", "Some limits" - where you set all the rules - and "Simple Finder" - where almost everything is forbidden, except for the most basic uses. And turn Filevault on (under the Security tab) for at least your own, with a strong master password, and you're all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.