Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I have been reading that 17.4 is an "emergency update" on the web for a few days now. Here is one article but you can run a search and find plenty.

However, AFAIK, this was just a regular planned update that went through the entire Beta Cycle that included security updates -- in fact Apple listed emoji before "other updates including security updates".

When I think of "emergency security updates" I think of the updates that come in the "Security Responses & Security Files" category.

What was most frustrating was the wild goose chase I went on after updating to 17.4 for these "patches" to 17.4.

Just curious if anyone else had the same reaction and confusion?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2011
CVE-2024-23296 "Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been exploited."
CVE-2024-23225 "Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been exploited."
https://support.apple.com/HT214081

"CISA has added two new vulnerabilities to its Known Exploited Vulnerabilities Catalog, based on evidence of active exploitation." https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/al...s-two-known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

In less formal words, iOS 17.3.1 devices were/are getting hacked.
I get it. I wrote that it contained security updates but was confused why a regular planned update that went through beta testing is being called an “emergency release”

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Any known exploits which have been reported in the wild for a platform the size of iPhone use is rightly considered 'emergency'. That 17.4 was a planned release simply means that the security fixes were rolled into it. These don't get prerelease testing in the same way anyway, because the developer/beta testing communities don't really have the necessary skills.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I get it. I wrote that it contained security updates but was confused why a regular planned update that went through beta testing is being called an “emergency release”
Apple has failed to implement Rapid Security Responses, they are dead now.
The fixes for the two security vulnerabilities are the emergency.
Without them, the new poop emoji in iOS 17.4 could have been released next month.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Any known exploits which have been reported in the wild for a platform the size of iPhone use is rightly considered 'emergency'. That 17.4 was a planned release simply means that the security fixes were rolled into it. These don't get prerelease testing in the same way anyway, because the developer/beta testing communities don't really have the necessary skills.
That’s a developer perspective. Someone with a deeper understanding could parse that headline, but these articles are for users.

I would argue they are using click-bait tactics to deliver a story with genuine content and prioritizing fear over accuracy. The security updates are part of the minor release so it should be referred to that way to avoid confusion. They are not separate security “patches” to be installed.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It wouldn't be the first time that Apple sat on security vulnerabilities.

Apparently the Rapid Security Response has limits in what they can patch this way or the release was so close that they didn't feel the need to hurry the fixes before iOS 17.4.

Maybe, they need to get all those people working on AI to investigate checking the system for security flaws automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.