Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Odd issue overnight for my 2011 iMac on El Capitan. I did the update yesterday with no problems..that was until I put it into sleep mode around 12:30am. I fell sleep only to be awakened by my iMac "Apple startup tune" - bright white boot up screen at 2:05am. my Mac just randomly rebooted itself! And it was a very long boot up I might add. When it finally finished about 6 minutes later..I did put it to "sleep" once again only to have it reboot itself once again at 4:41am! No idea.

After that --- forget it, I shut it down. This is something completely new, and it never happened before the update yesterday.

Any possible quick solution I can do with this, maybe clear out the cache (~/Library/Caches/)
Not sure what is causing this, but I am pretty sure the update did something goofy.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
I did the update yesterday with no problems
Not sure if this refers to an El Capitan update from 10.11.x to 10.11.6 or Apple's recent security update.

I'm not seeing this issue here with the same machine and 10.11.6 without the recent security update.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sorry, I meant the security update and Safari.

I looked it up on my console, called a "Sleep/Wake Failure" and a slew of code / "Threads" I can't make out.
I'll see what happens later...odd.

VWXulOh.png

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I have the same problem.. before 10.12.1 (so on 10.12.) it happened a few times around 2 months ago but lately it never happened again. Then after the 10.12.1 update it happened both nights. Restarted from alone (I put in Sleep mode) and after login I got the message like "your computer restarted because of a problem.. sleep/wake failure". Really annoying.
I have a late 2015 Retina 5k iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.