Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I recently began experiencing intermittent system freezes on my iMac 2019 i9, and today suffered a kernel panic, Is it possible it's due to this update? It's happened after several days of uptime.

I'm not using any different software and I'm yet to run the Apple Hardware Test.

la_manzana

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
Yes, try an AHT first, that sounds like a good plan.

After such a freeze you could also open the console app and then look under 'System Reports' if you find any kernel panic logs from the freeze. The error in such a kernel panic log could help to google for a possible reason of the freeze. But in most of the cases the informations in these logs are only helpful for engineers at Apple.

Then start Disk Utility and execute "First Aid" on your system partition to scan/repair for file system errors.

After my bad experience in the last days (red in my previous posts) after a SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset I kind of hesitate to recommend you this. But SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset are normally the first thing that people recommend in forums like this in cases of strange system behaviour. But if you plan do so, make sure you have an actual backup just in case!

You could also try to boot once in Safe Mode since this will not only check your file system again, but also completely rebuilds the kernel caches. Because of those tasks macOS did when booting in Safe Mode such a boot needs a lot of time, so be patient. A corrupt kernel cache could be the reason of such freezes, but who knows.

Here is an overview from Apple to all those needed startup key combinations for rests or Safe Mode:
Mac startup key combinations

Since I have this update only installed such a short time and not yet experienced any system freezes I can't say if your freezes could be related to this update or not.

Reactions: WebHead

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
I recently began experiencing intermittent system freezes on my iMac 2019 i9, and today suffered a kernel panic, Is it possible it's due to this update? It's happened after several days of uptime.

I'm not using any different software and I'm yet to run the Apple Hardware Test.
I do assume you did a full shut down and then rebooted and determined that didn't solve the problem, right?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I did the Mojave 2021-005 Security Update for my Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.5 Ghz Core i5

I updated directly from G186020 to now G189323

It took 12 minutes

No problems. Everything is working as before.

=========================================

EDIT : I first installed 2021-005 Security Update on an APFS formatted CCC copy.

I then CCC cloned the above drive to my normal Mojave 10.14.6 drive formatted to HFS+

All is well with the Mohave 10.14.6 boot drive

Last edited:
Reactions: camelia

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I hadn't installed the 2021-004 update before 2021-005 was released, and there were two folders in MacIntosh HD/Library/Updates. Going through Software Update appears to have installed 2021-005 but I still have the 2021-004 folder ("071-28863") remaining. Is it unneeded now? I'm guessing so but wanted to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.