Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bambina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Hi! I had installed the security update 2020-005, which slowed my Mac to unbelievably low levels so I had to restore using a snapshot. It took my Mac back to just before installing the security update and now it's working fine.

I've noticed that there's a supplemental update, but the security update still shows in the updates list. What should I do? Install both? Neither?

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 14.44.15-2.png

Bambina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Thanks for answering! Is the security update still buggy? My Mac took like 30 min to boot with that one. I really don't want to experience that again.

Does it install both updates at the same time? Or does it install the security update, then boot, then install the other one? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all this.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks for answering! Is the security update still buggy? My Mac took like 30 min to boot with that one. I really don't want to experience that again.

Does it install both updates at the same time? Or does it install the security update, then boot, then install the other one? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all this.
Apple pulled the first version of that security update, so the 005 version you are seeing is the "new improve version on sale!" Back when both the security update and the Safari update were first released, you had to do them in the right order to avoid a mess, but Apple has resolved that issue, so you can just install them both. If you prefer, use terminal and run the following commands in order:
sudo softwareupdate --install "Security Update 2020-005-10.14.6"
restart immediately and then
sudo softwareupdate --install "Safari14.0MojaveAuto-10.14.6"

Bambina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Apple pulled the first version of that security update, so the 005 version you are seeing is the "new improve version on sale!" Back when both the security update and the Safari update were first released, you had to do them in the right order to avoid a mess, but Apple has resolved that issue, so you can just install them both. If you prefer, use terminal and run the following commands in order:
sudo softwareupdate --install "Security Update 2020-005-10.14.6"
restart immediately and then
sudo softwareupdate --install "Safari14.0MojaveAuto-10.14.6"

Thanks for taking the time to answer me! I appreciate it a lot

One more thing, though. After my first attempt at installing the security update and having to restore my system using a snapshot, I noticed that the security update was still there, the downloaded file I mean. How do I know that the system is not going to install the already downloaded security update instead of the new, "fixed" version?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks for taking the time to answer me! I appreciate it a lot

One more thing, though. After my first attempt at installing the security update and having to restore my system using a snapshot, I noticed that the security update was still there, the downloaded file I mean. How do I know that the system is not going to install the already downloaded security update instead of the new, "fixed" version?
Why do you think Apple saves those files on the disk after it installs them? The usual procedure is to erase them.
Use EasyFind and do a search for "Security Update 2020-005", what did you find?
If you want to make sure you are getting the right one, use the terminal command I posted above (which is why I posted it). If you insist on overthinking this you will never get it right.
Just punch in the first command, let it install the new security update and then immediately restart. After that check for the new Safari update fix, second command above, and do that, again reboot and you are done. No more redundant posts required. Grin and bear it.

Last edited:

Bambina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Why do you think Apple saves those files on the disk after it installs them? The usual procedure is to erase them.
Use EasyFind and do a search for "Security Update 2020-005", what did you find?
If you want to make sure you are getting the right one, use the terminal command I posted above (which is why I posted it). If you insist on overthinking this you will never get it right.
Just punch in the first command, let it install the new security update and then immediately restart. After that check for the new Safari update fix, second command above, and do that, again reboot and you are done. No more redundant posts required. Grin and bare it.

Wow, dude. Chill! Two posts make you lose your patience? The update didn't go through, that's why the files where still there. You didn't even bother to check the screenshot, there was no Safari update in the list. I had to disable my SIP, delete the downloaded, old and buggy security update, and then install the new ones.

I tell you I'm a newbie and you still snap at me for asking one more question? My mac is my only work and study tool available, sorry for trying to ensure I'd still be able to use it.

Thanks for nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.