Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dbs40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
The last two security updates of MacOS Big Sur have cause my sync settings in Apple Music to reset (from sync checked songs to Manual) and when I change the setting back to manual, Music says it must remove the library from my IPod classic to sync the new library causing days of resyncing from scratch. Has any one encountered this problem and found a way to address it? I would like to stay on Big Sur as long as it is getting security updates, I have software that only woke up to Big Sur such as Ivolume for song volumes.

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
As long as you have your library saved on your computer, it shouldn't be too big of a hassle to re-sync the iPod every update. And updates aren't even that frequent.

Dbs40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
As long as you have your library saved on your computer, it shouldn't be too big of a hassle to re-sync the iPod every update. And updates aren't even that frequent.
Is this something that you do? What is your process for syncing? Syncing 170gb to the iPod classic with ssd drive literally takes me almost a week. I have to break it up into smaller chunks about 5gb each for it not to go incredibly slowly (but it is still slow) or have an errors and restart.

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
Is this something that you do? What is your process for syncing? Syncing 170gb to the iPod classic with ssd drive literally takes me almost a week. I have to break it up into smaller chunks about 5gb each for it not to go incredibly slowly (but it is still slow) or have an errors and restart.
is your library big? It usually takes me a couple minutes.

If resyncing is an issue, you could always try rockbox. it's not that hard to learn to use, pretty simple to set up, and you can just drag and drop music to the drive. (bonus: there are themes! https://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=53574.0)

Dbs40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
is your library big? It usually takes me a couple minutes.

If resyncing is an issue, you could always try rockbox. it's not that hard to learn to use, pretty simple to set up, and you can just drag and drop music to the drive. (bonus: there are themes! https://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=53574.0)
Syncing 170gb to the iPod classic with ssd drive literally takes me almost a week. I have to break it up into smaller chunks about 5gb each for it not to go incredibly slowly (but it is still slow) or have an errors and restart.

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
Is your iPod flash-modded? How big is your music library? What model of iPod do you have?

Dbs40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
Is your iPod flash-modded? How big is your music library? What model of iPod do you have?
Yes it is a 5th gen iPod with a 250gb ssd. I add about a 170gb library currently to it. There are lot of unchecked songs in my library, different masterings I replace, changes to metadata, volume etc, so I use syncing instead of manual.

Dbs40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
I'm not sure then why it's desyncing every update. Have you tried Monterey or Ventura?
Yes I have now (that post was a little old.) The last update to Big Sur it didn’t do it. I made sure to do a sync to the iPod right before the os update hoping that it would remember and recognize the settings and IPod after the update, and it worked that time. Since then I did update to Monterrey too and it worked again. So it is solved for now hopefully (though since I couldn’t find anyone mentioning this problem I still am unsure about it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.