Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
We already saw this in action at the keynote. Why not investigate some other cases. For example, if I'm listening to music, will it pause/resume if I accept a phone call on my Mac? What if I'm in a full-screen game or other app using my mic, do I still see a notification and does it re-direct audio in and out to the call?

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Been working fairly well between my iPhone 5s and 2013 nMac Pro 8-Core since release. Most know both devices have to be logged into the same iCloud account, yet I noticed my Mac Pro was Bluetooth "auto-paired" on my iPhone and I cannot "Forget this Device". Seems there's a few things at work.

Been able to start an email on my iPhone, wait, click on "Mail" on the left side, then work on that email. If the email isn't saved or sent, it's deleted on both devices. I found the "Maps" functionality the most useful.

Noticed the more I use 10.10 the better it performs. I don't understand how, or if this is a placebo effect, but it seems to adapt the more it's used. One key, after first install wait for the system to finish optimizing; some claim it takes 1-2 days, some a few hours, but if interrupted some claim the system stammers for a few days.

I've been using it sporadically on my nMP 8-Core as well, and it too seems to be running smoother and less glitchier the more I use it. Its definitely not just you.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I'm very sceptical of the new, flat OSX design from a practical viewpoint. It's one thing having a flat design on an iPad screen, but it's another thing entirely having the same flat design on a big computer screen, which will be front of people for many hours every day.
Having 3D effects and shading on menus and windows makes it easier for the eyes to focus on a specific visual element, and I'm not sure how comfortable a flat 2D style will be during long work sessions. Also the new font doesn't work for me at all.
I think I will stick with Mavericks for quite some time yet (and I've noticed that present versions of Yosemite is working much slower than Mavericks....remember Lion?).

I agree. 30 years of hardware evolution. From monochrome screens and pixelated images to beautifully rendered 3D-icons that are almost pieces of art. And now, everything is back to white, plain and dull. Every iOS icon evolved into an abstract form or character on a bright colored background.

But as much I dislike parts of iOS 7, I must say I think Yosemite is quite nice in these screenshots. It seems they have found a middle ground. For instance, the front window still has a backdrop.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Samsung

From the many youtube videos posted, Samsung has provided this functionality for years. Now I understand why these same fans simply dismiss and have a little giggle at our expense for showing excitement over this.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
The phone call feature is cool BUT they should have allowed that to be started and SWITCHED between the mac and the phone. I would like to start a call on my mac because my phone isn't close and then be able to head out the door and continue the conversation.

Maybe that is part of Continuity? Has anybody tested this yet?

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
i've been wondering, what about for the users that keep the dock hidden? As much as i like and use the dock, i just find it takes up too much real estate to have it popped up all the time. Can't wait to try this out!

leifashley

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Yes. And with any half-way decent cloud provider you can do that today as well. And have been able to for several years already.

uh... ok who else lets you finish working on a spreadsheet or document on a tablet and then on your PC? Google? Oh yea they do have some half baked text editor and visicalc clone

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
The phone call feature is cool BUT they should have allowed that to be started and SWITCHED between the mac and the phone. I would like to start a call on my mac because my phone isn't close and then be able to head out the door and continue the conversation.

I believe you can. They are practically using the mac as a Bluetooth speaker (perhaps also creating adhoc wifi). Then your can just flip the AirPlay function in control center of your iPhone and switch from Mac to iPhone.

sscerberus

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
Green Battery?

As a beta tester for ios8 and yosemite i can tell you that Handoff does not work very well yet. I can get the notification but when i click on it it does not open anything. Also... how do they have a green battery icon in the first video that's not an option.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'd rather not see hand off in action at any time, because it will never be perfect...

like like anything, it's no surprise Apple can't promise this,. Yes it will be bought to the table, but i reckon Apple's just blowing a bog fat pipe with smoke coming out of their .............

It's work eventually, like everything would do, but don't expect it to "just work" first off...

I hate those icons for one thing.... new Safari icon looks ugly, and i dunno but did a 2 year old kiss make that Trashcan icon ?

Hey... maybe could do this, i'll get an award in no time.

I don't mind icons loosing their edge, but when its totally flat..... That just makes a dull look.... Where's the depth ?

Give me some depth.... colors looks better

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011

Sheesh, PATIENCE my friend, patience. They just included this feature, it was never there before so have patience. We've gotten too spoiled with features now everyone cries about "what about this and what about that?" Appreciate what you have so far and wait for the features to evolve.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm still pronouncing it yoz-i-might in my head. Stupid brain.

I started out pronouncing it as I've always pronounced it (yo-sem-mit-ee) and generally confused about everyone's confusion, but after 2 weeks of lurking and posting on these forums I find myself repeatedly reading it in my head as yo-si-might and it won't stop.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I'm very sceptical of the new, flat OSX design from a practical viewpoint. It's one thing having a flat design on an iPad screen, but it's another thing entirely having the same flat design on a big computer screen, which will be front of people for many hours every day.
Having 3D effects and shading on menus and windows makes it easier for the eyes to focus on a specific visual element, and I'm not sure how comfortable a flat 2D style will be during long work sessions. Also the new font doesn't work for me at all.
I think I will stick with Mavericks for quite some time yet (and I've noticed that present versions of Yosemite is working much slower than Mavericks....remember Lion?).

Has the fact that it's the first beta version hence the slow speed ever crossed your mind?

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany

But it's not really "flat 2d style"... have you even seen the video? Because then you wouldn't state this nonsense.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
If you look at 0:43 in the first video, the Bluetooth icon is in the status bar of the iPhone but not lit up - it's not connected to the Mac via Bluetooth.

Its not a blue tooth connection, if you like its a bluetooth ping, something introduced into the Bluetooth 4.0 LE specification its the same way iBeacons work, you're not pairing with anything.

----------

Why not over wifi ???

Because wifi has no idea how near or far your device is. The idea is that Bluetooth Le like an iBeacon sends the pings out to local OSX or iOS device when its within range for a handover to complete. Eg your Mac isn't just loading up a half written e-mail anyone can open when you're the other side of the house, its doing it when you approach and are in range of the computer.

Surprised so many people are confused at how this is working.

sixarm

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Multiple apple accounts

I'm curious how this will work with multiple apple accounts. I'd like to be able to use my personal iPhone with my home and work Macs. For work I have to have a different apple account.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I started out pronouncing it as I've always pronounced it (yo-sem-mit-ee) and generally confused about everyone's confusion, but after 2 weeks of lurking and posting on these forums I find myself repeatedly reading it in my head as yo-si-might and it won't stop.

It's only because before the rumors on here, I'd never heard of the place. Normally 'e' on the end of a word changes the sound of other vowels (gam vs game for example). Anyway, i will learn.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
uh... ok who else lets you finish working on a spreadsheet or document on a tablet and then on your PC?

Microsoft. You know, the ones that actually make the Office suite that people use.

EDIT: And obviously anyone else as well. Just store the document in the cloud and you're done.

----------

This makes no sense. If your phone isn't near you when you answer a phone call. You'd have to get up mid call, walk away from your pc, find your phone then start talking again.

I think you are just nit picking a little.

Well, to be honest, the examples that Apple were showing at the keynote make no sense either. If I'm close by to my computer, why on earth would I be typing an email with my phone?

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Given how long it took them to get iMessage working acceptably between multiple devices, I don't have super high hopes for this working reliably for at least a year after 10.10 and iOS8's releases.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Obviously still WIP but

I really love this! I had been playing with it for hours since I installed the beta. I like the way it instantly migrates anything from iPhone to iMac without the need of internet/special software/delay (unlike Google/Samsung attempts). I hope to see more apps tapping into this in the future.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Hey! Where has the MacRumors article gone which stated that "Hand Off" was limited to Macs having Bluetooth LE?

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/15/handoff-bluetooth-le/

All I get is a lousy "Mac Rumors - File Not Found" 404!

Google to the rescue:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e/+&cd=2&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=ch&client=firefox-a

So yes, it seems only Macs "Mid 2011" like the MacBook Air and onwards will get this feature. For iMacs that means: "Sorry, Late 2012 only"

So I won't be seeing this feature for the next 5 years or so (and to be honest: won't miss it either).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Mhmmmm, can't wait for my battery to drain even quicker having to need bluetooth on all the time if I want this to work smoothly.

BT 4 is low-powered, it doesnt consume much to leave it on all the time. i do, and i only charge my phone when i go to bed at night.

----------

the you answer a call on your mac, its actually transmitting on your phone. so yes, youll be able to walk out the door w/ the phone and continue it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.