Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I’d been using 1Password for the last decade+ and happily paid an annual fee for the newest version of the app each year which synced my password vault via iCloud. When it was announced they were moving away from standalone vaults in favor of an online, monthly subscription model, I started counting down the days until I had to leave it.

When I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 17 last week, the Safari 1Password browser extension stopped working and instead told me standalone vaults are not supported. I exported my passwords from 1Password and imported them into Apple keychain.

Seems to be working pretty much the same for me but I do miss a couple things, like being able to customize the type of password generated (i.e., length, number of symbols, etc.) and being able to assign more than one URL to the same login. Other than that functionality seems to be uninterrupted.

I’ll continue to use 1Password to store other things for the time being until it stops working altogether.

If anyone is on the fence, switching over took minutes.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I'm 100% on board with you about the subscription model. I've been a 1P user for... gosh a decade or so now? Standalone vaults only and have been happily using 1P7 now for 5 years and paid once. I would have gladly done an upgrade license, but... well you know the rest.

That said, 1P on my iPhone running iOS 17 still works fine in Safari. No errors. I just manually synced my vault (I use iCloud)... no problem.

EDIT: you say you upgraded to iOS 17 last week? It was released this week... 3 days ago. If you are on a beta version, try the release version.

Reactions: TheMountainLife

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Yet another "just 200 monthly payments of $1"... :(

If it was "just" that much... I'd half consider it. But at 3x that price (4x is just around the corner, guaranteed!) plus being limited to using their cloud syncing service? No.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
I still need 1password, Apple Keychain won’t let me use it on other devices… Android or Windows machine.
But it works really good if you’re strictly in the Apple ecosystem.
I feel like people replacing 1P with iCloud Keychain never understood 1P. It's way more than saving passwords. I literally saved my software licenses, ID number, health care number and a lot of documents there. I can't do that with iCloud Keychain.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I feel like people replacing 1P with iCloud Keychain never understood 1P. It's way more than saving passwords. I literally saved my software licenses, ID number, health care number and a lot of documents there. I can't do that with iCloud Keychain.
Same here. I pay $60/year and it absolutely solves passwords for my family across any device.

I am also wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. If I got locked out of my iCloud account somehow, I could still get at all the logins, authentication codes and important documents I have in 1Password. If I kept them in iCloud, I could well and truly be screwed completely.

edit: one other important consideration is vulnerability of iCloud Keychain on iOS. Anyone who gets your iPhone's unlock code (say, if FaceID fails and they see you type it in manually) now has full access to your passwords if they can steal your phone. Apple has not seen fit to fix this security hole where that unlock PIN gives you access everything in the phone, including iCloud Keychain. 1Password on iOS, on the other hand, can only be accessed by biometrics or with a full password that is not the same one you unlock your phone with.

Last edited:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I'm 100% on board with you about the subscription model. I've been a 1P user for... gosh a decade or so now? Standalone vaults only and have been happily using 1P7 now for 5 years and paid once. I would have gladly done an upgrade license, but... well you know the rest.

That said, 1P on my iPhone running iOS 17 still works fine in Safari. No errors. I just manually synced my vault (I use iCloud)... no problem.

EDIT: you say you upgraded to iOS 17 last week? It was released this week... 3 days ago. If you are on a beta version, try the release version.
I jumped on the RC that was pushed right after the announcement so it’s the same version of iOS 17 that was pushed to the public on Monday. I thought it was strange as it was still working on my iPad. Not sure what caused the issue on my phone. I tried restarting and disabling and reenabling the extension but neither resolved the issue.

No, I get it. I still have all my CC #s, sensitive notes, bank accounts, etc. in 1Password. I’m just simply not going to pay a monthly fee AND be forced to use their syncing service. iCloud Keychain is absolutely not a 100% substitute by any means. I’m hoping Apple recognizes the need to beef it up in future software iterations but in the meantime, I’ve migrated to keychain for my passwords and will continue to use 1Password for everything else up until it stops working altogether.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
We've got a giant thread of former 1Password users if you're interested.

Reactions: TwoBytes

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Use Apple Notes?

It's not cross-platform, which is my biggest problem. I need my password manager to work on Windows (that's coming, if it's not here yet), ChromeOS (not happening), and Android (also not happening). I would like to switch to iCloud, but it's just not there if you venture out of the apple ecosystem. The girl and I share a lot of accounts and passwords, and she is a Pixel and Windows user.

If it was monthly, I wouldn't use it, but since they allow yearly subscriptions at a cheaper rate, I'll allow it. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, monthly (or less) subscriptions.

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
You can. You just have to be a little creative.

User ID: Parallels
Password: 1234-5678-1234-5678

User ID: Passport No
Password: 123456789

Etc...

If you want to save images, the best tool is password protected Notes.
The password can be different from the phone password.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matz and Isamilis

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I've thought about switching to iCloud keychain but after looking into it, I decided to stick with 1Password. So it's another charge. Oh well. That's life these days. I do the yearly payment instead of monthly so it's slightly cheaper.

Since I've been using 1Password for so long, I think moving to any other password manager would be more of a headache than anything for me at this point. Plus, with how many entries I have, I just dont feel like going through the hassle of it. Sure, iCloud keychain is under the Apple umbrella but, from a security perspective, I do like 1Passwords 4 step authentication and how flexible it can be with entries.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to both but right now, I can't see myself switching from 1Password anytime soon, if ever.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
You can. You just have to be a little creative.

User ID: Parallels
Password: 1234-5678-1234-5678

User ID: Passport No
Password: 123456789

Etc...

If you want to save images, the best tool is password protected Notes.
The password can be different from the phone password.
I don’t like using several apps when I can use one app that solves a lot of my problems.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
… and being able to assign more than one URL to the same login.

Keychain does that automatically whenever it is required, if the URLs are within the same domain.
I have not found a way to do it manually (nor have I really tried much to do so).

IMG_0749.jpeg

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don’t like using several apps when I can use one app that solves a lot of my problems.
Sure, if you are willing to pay, why not.
I am just pointing out that a lot of this stuff is already possible within the Apple standard system apps, albeit perhaps not so elegantly.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I've thought about switching to iCloud keychain but after looking into it, I decided to stick with 1Password. So it's another charge. Oh well. That's life these days. I do the yearly payment instead of monthly so it's slightly cheaper.

Since I've been using 1Password for so long, I think moving to any other password manager would be more of a headache than anything for me at this point. Plus, with how many entries I have, I just dont feel like going through the hassle of it. Sure, iCloud keychain is under the Apple umbrella but, from a security perspective, I do like 1Passwords 4 step authentication and how flexible it can be with entries.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to both but right now, I can't see myself switching from 1Password anytime soon, if ever.
I see too many people who get locked out of their Apple ID for one reason or another, so this means you’re locked out of iCloud also.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
It’s with most things, where people perhaps use the more generic feature of something, then a lot of other apps can replace it. I started to advise people to use Bitwarden if I find out they only use it for passwords, perhaps nowadays iCloud passwords would be good enough if they only have apple devices. We in the family use 1Password, and it’s just more versatile as you said, attaching another doc is also quite nice. Also with the whole iphone passcode debacle, the password were safe behind 1Password.

Recently I see more and more passwordless approaches, haven’t gone on that boat yet, but seems to be useful.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
I was a 1Password user waaaaay back in the day. Switched to lastpass and then dumped those fools when they started charging for what was previously free and also after several hacks into their system.

iCloud passwords have always been clunky.

I have settled on Bitwarden for my Apple ecosystem and while not as nice graphically as 1Password, it integrates and works well. I pay $10 a year for the premium tier because I'm happy with it. Been using it for several years now.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I have used mSecure for some time but also keychain. mSecure recently allowed for sharing of passwords with a subscritpion so I may stop the paid version but I also store all my cc and other sensitive info in there so I won't ditch the app altogether.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Ok, you lost me. How does me using 1Password mean I'm locked out of iCloud?
If you're using iCloud Keychain and you're locked out of your Apple ID, you're going to be locked out of your passwords. If you use 1Password (or another 3rd party password manager), and you're locked out of you're Apple ID, you still have access to 1Password and your passwords.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
If you're using iCloud Keychain and you're locked out of your Apple ID, you're going to be locked out of your passwords. If you use 1Password (or another 3rd party password manager), and you're locked out of you're Apple ID, you still have access to 1Password and your passwords.
Ohhh ok, I'm with you now lol. Still waiting for my coffee to kick in...

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Rumorology

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
I have stopped fighting subscriptions. What I have found that I really do not (like most people) have a need to use too many apps. There are only a few essential apps that I keep going back to. And when those are on subscription, they are continuously getting better.

1Password has many useful features compared to key chain but so does BitWarden, which is technically just as sound as 1Password. The main reason I subscribe to 1Password is because they do subscribe to the “software as art” philosophy and focus so much effort on little delights all across the user experience. 1Password is for passwords like Things 3 is for To Dos or Day One is for journaling: a joy to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.