Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hey guys/gals. So 16.4 is upon us. Didn’t have the chance to upgrade to new architecture with 16.2 so this will be my first stab at it.

Anyways, my plan is to nuke everything and I mean everything, and start from scratch. Gonna factory reset my network, all my HomeKit devices and even all our personal devices. iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple Watches, etc….

So my question is, should I update everything to 16.4 and then nuke it all, or nuke it first, then update to 16.4? I’m thinking update first, then nuke so it starts fresh with the new software. I could be wrong but you never know with Apple.

What would you fine people of the MR HK community do?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
When I take the plunge I'll do an in-place upgrade and see how everything works. Least amount of effort. But I'm not going to be a pioneer of this second rollout. I have many BTLE sensors and a couple of BTLE LED strips. They work very well currently, and until I see some anecdotal evidence that they will still work after the upgrade, I'm sitting tight.

That and I'm really not liking being forced to add my 4 Apple TVs to my existing collection of 14 or so HomePods as HomeKit hubs. Every time I want to power cycle my hubs, I'd need to pack a lunch for the trip.

Reactions: Itinj24

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Hey guys/gals. So 16.4 is upon us. Didn’t have the chance to upgrade to new architecture with 16.2 so this will be my first stab at it.

Anyways, my plan is to nuke everything and I mean everything, and start from scratch. Gonna factory reset my network, all my HomeKit devices and even all our personal devices. iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple Watches, etc….
Why?? Just update all devices and then apply the infrastructure update. Zero reason to nuke everything unless your a sadist or only have a couple devices

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Why?? Just update all devices and then apply the infrastructure update. Zero reason to nuke everything unless your a sadist or only have a couple devices

I agree with this. Try the easy path first. You never know... 16.4 may fix that one thing causing all your issues.

Otherwise, go through all that work, and bam, 16.5 comes along and blows it up anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: rayward and Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Fair question. It’s not just HomeKit though. When several updates and rebooting doesn’t fix anything, the only option is a factory reset. Lots of issues with iCloud stuff and syncing in general.

This stems from wanting to change my SSID and resetting my network. This of course will boot everything off. At that point factory resetting and re-adding is the easy part.

Basically, I just want a fresh start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.