Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rollingsouls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Hello,

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2022) and I'm looking to connect it to 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays.

My primary requirement is for the dock to support these dual displays; I'm not concerned with additional USB ports or other connectivity options. An image of my display connector is attached

Could anyone suggest a dock that would be suitable for this specific need?

Thank you for any recommendations you might have.

Attachments

• kvjscP6.jpeg
    kvjscP6.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 83

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
For your MBA, from Apples Tech Specs page:

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colours and:
One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

So in order to support two TB Displays you have to move up to a MacBook Pro with an M1/2/3 Pro CPU.

M3 Pro
"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colours and:
Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, or one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI."

It's Apple's marketing policy - and the base Mx chips only have two Display Engines on the chip.
Only the Pro and Max/Ultra chips in laptops can support additional Displays beyond one.

You don’t need a dock to connect a single TB display, just an Apple TB3><TB2 adapter.
These can be found on eBay.
Cheaper non-Apple adapters aren’t reliable so get the proper one.

On a Mac that is capable of running more than one display then the 2nd TB display can be daisy chained to the first, from its 2nd TB2 port.
Or both can be plugged in (through two TB3><TB2 adapters) to the downstream TB4 ports of a multi port TB4 dock.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
On a Mac that is capable of running more than one display then the 2nd TB display can be daisy chained to the first, from its 2nd TB2 port.
Or both can be plugged in (through two TB3><TB2 adapters) to the downstream TB4 ports of a multi port TB4 dock.
This is the way.

Rollingsouls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
For your MBA, from Apples Tech Specs page:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

So in order to support two TB Displays you have to move up to a MacBook Pro with an M1/2/3 Pro CPU.

M3 Pro
Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, or one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI."

It's Apple's marketing policy - and the base Mx chips only have two Display Engines on the chip.
Only the Pro and Max/Ultra chips in laptops can support additional Displays beyond one.

You don’t need a dock to connect a single TB display, just an Apple TB3><TB2 adapter.
These can be found on eBay.
Cheaper non-Apple adapters aren’t reliable so get the proper one.

thanks a lot 🙏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.