Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlamminSammyTNC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Hey guys!

Been in and out of this site for a couple of years now, and I figured I'd make a post calling for aid, due to the mass amount of information regarding RAID controllers for Mac Pros. You guys are smart, you seem to have come up with every answer to every question thus far, however I havent seen anything regarding my current situation and I'm not gonna lie, I have a fairly smol brain when it comes to The Wonderful World of RAIDing, so I figured I'd come and ask the Experts.

Here's a couple of prerequisites:
  • Needs to be able to have drives running ExFat
  • Needs to be able to run the same RAID in both OSX and Windows 10 (I have a BootCamp set up)
  • Just need it to do two drives, nothing too fancy
  • The drives I'm planning on using are 8TB, so it should have a decent size limit
  • ...and I plan on doing a RAID 1
I'm not wanting to use the Apple-made RAID controller due to it's... general unpopularity that I've witnessed this community has towards it. Any/all suggestions are welcome - and even if you can't help me, I wish you all the best anyways! :D

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions!

-Sam

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
There is a Highpoint RR 2720SGL on eBay at the moment for USD 75. It's a good value, natively supported Hardware RAID Controller/HBA. Get it (before I do). I paid USD 130 on eBay for the same model less than 6 months ago.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I've used the Apple raid controller via creating a soft raid and it worked for 4 years without any problems. But since then I went back to regular setup because I went to a external raid drive system via esata and made all my internals regular drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.