Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5comma1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
Greetings.

I'm attempting to install Mavericks on a Macbook Pro 15-Inch, Early 2008, A1260.
The drive in the Macbook Pro is a newly installed SSD with nothing at all on it— no OS, nuttin.'

Someone here on the forum was kind enough to share a DMG of Mavericks.
The DMG looks like this... please see secreenshots 1 and 2.

I loaded the Mavericks DMG onto a USB stick, inserted the stick into the Mac, and attempted to startup while holding Option, and was presented this icon... please see screenshot 3. So far so good.

After moving beyond the icon shown in screenshot 3 I was presented with this error symbol... please see screenshot 4... and after a couple minutes the Macbook Pro shut itself off.

Any suggestions around how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 01.png
    Screen Shot 01.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 02.png
    Screen Shot 02.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 03.jpeg
    Screen Shot 03.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 04.jpeg
    Screen Shot 04.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think you need to start over.

Give this a shot. Erase the USB stick and format it "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Mount the Mavericks.dmg image and then use Disk Utility to "Restore" from the mounted image to the USB stick.

Then see if it will boot.

Reactions: avz

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
MacOS 10.12 is Sierra, not Maviericks, and that's the icon for an internal disk

To create a USB installer from a macOS Installer, you would usually use the createInstallMedia program, but what it looks like is that the DMG you've gotten already has the base system extracted and is not the straight from Apple installer.app.

I've never gone around using the createInstallMedia message but you can probably just bless the USB for booting from it, or perhaps DiskMaker will be able to create a proper bootable installer from the DMG.

You can also see if the smaller .app file inside the base system image still has the createInstallMedia program though I'm not sure how it would work when you can't point it to a fully expandable app path without the ESD inside the app bundle.

Alternatively I can send you the Mavericks installer .app and not the already extracted base system that you've got. But you should probably be able to just bless that one for booting
[automerge]1591292962[/automerge]
Give this a shot. Erase the USB stick and format it "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Mount the Mavericks.dmg image and then use Disk Utility to "Restore" from the mounted image to the USB stick.

This also seems a sensible starting step that I probably should've thought of, hehe

5comma1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
Thank you, BrianBaughn.

The USB stick is already formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I mounted the Mavericks.dmg as shown in my previous screenshot 3, but I'm unclear how to access Disk Utility? If I move my cursor to the very top of the screen no menu items appear?
[automerge]1591293294[/automerge]
MacOS 10.12 is Sierra, not Maviericks, and that's the icon for an internal disk

To create a USB installer from a macOS Installer, you would usually use the createInstallMedia program, but what it looks like is that the DMG you've gotten already has the base system extracted and is not the straight from Apple installer.app.

I've never gone around using the createInstallMedia message but you can probably just bless the USB for booting from it, or perhaps DiskMaker will be able to create a proper bootable installer from the DMG.

You can also see if the smaller .app file inside the base system image still has the createInstallMedia program though I'm not sure how it would work when you can't point it to a fully expandable app path without the ESD inside the app bundle.

Alternatively I can send you the Mavericks installer .app and not the already extracted base system that you've got. But you should probably be able to just bless that one for booting
[automerge]1591292962[/automerge]

This also seems a sensible starting step that I probably should've thought of, hehe
[automerge]1591293651[/automerge]
Thank you,casperes1996,

I appreciate the heads-up that I'm working with 10.12 is Sierra and not Maviericks.
I wiped this drive before installing but maybe it's still seeing a recovery partition from an old Sierra config?

Yes, I gratefully accept your offer to share a copy of the Mavericks installer.app. Please do.
I would be more comfortable going the createInstallMedia route, since I've done that once before.

Thank you!

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I mounted the Mavericks.dmg as shown in my previous screenshot 3, but I'm unclear how to access Disk Utility? If I move my cursor to the very top of the screen no menu items appear?

You would have to access Disk Utility on a Mac with an operating system like the one you used to put the Base System on the USB drive in the first place.

I appreciate the heads-up that I'm working with 10.12 is Sierra and not Maviericks.
I wiped this drive before installing but maybe it's still seeing a recovery partition from an old Sierra config?

Yes, I gratefully accept your offer to share a copy of the Mavericks installer.app. Please do.
I would be more comfortable going the createInstallMedia route, since I've done that once before.

I'll DM you

nwsoundman

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
Casperes1996,

I see you are very helpful with mavericks installer for older Macs. I need to update an Mac Pro1,1. Or at least make a Mavericks startup drive as my current system is my FC7 and old Protools rig. I used to be a chief engineer at a post studio in Burbank but became disabled and poor. I am trying to keep this old beast running a current browser.

Anyway I know you guys have probably been pestered beyond reason and would understand if you pass.

Thanks!!!

5comma1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
Hello nwsoundman,

Your note wasn't addressed to me but I received it, too, and I'll share a copy if you like?

nwsoundman

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
Thanks 5comma1.

I have a copy now. Just working to see if it will run on Mac Pro 1,1. So far no.

Thanks for the offer though.

stig2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2020
hi can anyone help me out im trying to get hold of a istaller app for Mavricks im new to mac im trying to upgrade a macmini 2,1 to Mavrick using macpostfactor but cant fin a app the it will see?

5comma1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
You're very welcome.
Nope, I don't have Lion or Mountain Lion.
Please let me know when you have it downloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.