Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I’m considering buying an iPad for my daughter but the bewildering array of models is giving me pause.

She is a biology and art double major and has a 16 inch MacBook Pro already. However, she is an accomplished artist who in the past used Procreate on the original iPad Pro with the original Apple Pencil and turned out beautiful work. A new iPad Pro would be a natural choice but budget constraints make it a Tough but for us.

She would like to use the iPad to draw illustrations for both her majors, as a media device, gaming, and for browsing the web. We also have to buy an Apple Pencil with any iPad we buy. If we like we should buy the second generation pencil with its updated features, but I know that will restrict what iPads I can purchase that will work with it.

So which iPad would you recommend? Should we get a Pro or is a lesser model going to do the job? I am not against buying a used one as long as we can get 3-4 years out of it while she is in school.

Your help and suggestions are appreciated!

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
My opinion: I think the iPad Air 5th generation would be perfect for her, if a Pro is too expensive. Here's why:

1. Apple Pencil Gen 2 support.
2. Cheaper than an iPad Pro 11" ($749 for a 256GB vs. $899).
3. Same processor and RAM as an iPad Pro (M1 and 8GB of Ram)
4. ALMOST the same screen size (10.9" vs. 11").

Why you should go with an iPad Pro instead?
1. Faster refresh rate: 60 HZ vs. 120 HZ (but I can't see the difference myself).
2. Brighter display (500 vs. 600 nits).
3. Touch ID vs. Face ID.
4. Retina display vs. Mini LED display

She can get 4 years out of either one of the two iPads very easily.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
depends what your budget is at the end of the day. Based on all her usages, the pro is definitely a winner, but the air is an easy 2nd place if the pro is too much.

Reactions: PeteBurgh

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I second the idea of trying to get a refurbished iPad Pro [only] from the Apple Store before buying an iPad Air. I have multiple models of iPads, and I use it for art and for school. By far I appreciate the iPad Pro more than any other model.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

Walmart has the Air 4 for 350 dollars, since price is a concern this would be a great iPad to consider. You Apple Pencil 2 support and again the price is very hard to beat.
Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great deal. A friend of mine asked me just yesterday about getting an iPad and this looks perfect. I recently gave my dad an iPad 9th generation (that can be returned through January 31 or I can give it to a family member) but I’ve ordered one of these to see if he might be more comfortable using this one. I also ordered one for myself to use for watching videos while I work on my iPP 11 or Mini 6.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have one follow-up question. I can choose between a 5th generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch and a 3rd generation iPad Pro 11 inch. Is it worth the extra money for the 12.9 inch or would the 11 inch be fine? Both iPads are used but in good condition and it is my understanding they have the same M1 chip in them.

Last edited:

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I have one follow-up question. I can choose between a 5th generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch and a 3rd generation iPad Pro 11 inch. Is it worth the extra money for the 12.9 inch or would the 11 inch be fine? Both iPads are used but in good condition and it is my understanding they have the same M1 chip in them.
That might be more of a personal choice.

Depending on how someone uses the device, the 11 or 12.9 would be better.

The other big thing that matters is screen. 12.9 has mini-LED and the 11 is LCD. Many call the mini-LED screen 'superior', but I personally found it bothered my eyes and gave me headaches, so I prefer the LCD screen of the 11 (and the 12.9s before they switched to mini-LED.)

So, if your daughter is sensitive to light or anything, go 11.

Otherwise, ask your daughter how she'll use it to find which is best. It's more than the obvious (12.9 better for watching, 11 better for carrying.) Taking notes on pdfs is significantly better for me on the 12.9, but someone else may not care. While toting around the 11 is easier, the more that I get from the 12.9 makes it worth carrying. That is to say it's likely not a simple universal answer: it's personal.

At this point, with two good choices, think it's probably a good time to ask your daughter what she thinks is best for her. That will make her part of the decision that is going to affect her daily, and it lets you not have to make the final choice without certainty.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i do art illustration using procreate as well, as much as i like my ipad air, i would certainly appreciate the bigger canvas offered on the 12.9. at current i'm getting by with the 11inch real estate by connecting to a external monitor, this gives me a big picture view while i can zoom in on the finer details.

there are used m1 12.9 ipp going for 700-800 if money is tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.