Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
TL;DR How do I specify which app to first select when connecting to my car via bluetooth?

The problem I have is when my iPhone connects to my car. This is not new and I'm sure dates back to when I bought my first iPhone 6+ and continues with my iPhone X.

The past few weeks, when I get in my car and the phone connects via bluetooth, "it" wants to play Podcasts. I'm not sure if "it" is the car making that choice or the phone but various clues leads me to believe it is the phone.

Often, I will have the opposite problem. Music will be selected when previously I was listening to Podcasts. It is not whatever I was last listening to on my previous drive. And if the phone has been idle for some time (gone to sleep), it is not even what I was last listening to.

So... my root question is how do I tell the phone that when it connects to my car, I want to play Music (or, if I change my mind -- how do I tell it that I want to play Podcasts)? recap: how do I specify which app to first select when connecting to my car via bluetooth?

There seems to be an app that is "running" but not listed when I double click the home button and scroll through the apps. If, instead, sometimes when I hit the side button, the mysterious app that I'm talking about will appear and give me the ability to play/pause, adjust the volume, and other things. If I then unlock the phone and bring up the list of active apps, that app will not be listed. That's why I'm calling it "hidden".

The "sometimes" above is, for example, after I just stopped the car or if the phone is connected to the car, and I've seen it occasionally other random times. Indeed, I saw the same symptom on my iPad which has never been connected to my car. It just decided to make this mysterious hidden app be YouTube for a while.

This seems to be the app that the iPhone will pick to run when it first connects to the car. One article suggests I force quit the app but the app is not even listed. And when it is listed, force quitting the app has no effect.

Going back to the "it" question -- I've rummaged around my car's settings and can't find anything that looks pertinent. And, just to be clear, sometimes Podcasts is picked and other times Music is picked. I can't seem to figure out how to make it pick the app I want.

I've tried various things like shutdown / reboot and I can't find the magic potion. I'm hoping someone on here can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.