Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I have a 16 inch 2021 MBP. Also have an M1 Mac Mini (worth $360 resale), and a 12.9" 2021 iPad Pro (worth $670 resale).
The Mac Mini & iPad were my daily drivers, until I got the 16 inch MBP this April.
Now I don't use the iPad anymore.

Mac Mini is hooked up to 49" Samsung Odyssey G9. I use the 16" MBP just as a laptop, away from the desk.
If I sell the Mini & the iPad ($1,030), I can get the 14" MBP (education store price $1,850) for $800.

Was contemplating a Macbook Air for travel use so I don't have to carry the 16". But if I can get the 14" for $800, why spend $900-1K for the Air?

Does this seem like a good idea?
Kinda overcomplicated but just wanna cut down from 3 devices to 2 useful ones.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Personally, instead of the 14" pro (Since you already got the 16), I would buy an Air and a 9th Gen iPad.

Reactions: Misheemee

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This is indeed all over the place but lemme try to see the rationale here:

1) You are deeming the iPad Pro unnecessary since the 16" replaced it being the mobile machine
2) The mini vs the 16" docked are overlapping duties

Just basing on these, it does make sense to sell both the mini and the iPad Pro, since the 16" is replacing the functions of both. This is where the 14" purchase sounds out of the blue:

A) You want a "travel use" machine but you don't see the 16" being one? Because of weight or what?
B) You have budget leftover after the sale of mini + iPad so you want to spend it on something?
C) You stumbled upon a deal for a 14" for $800? But if you get an Air you need to buy it full price new?

Now if all these are true then 14" is indeed a steal for $800, HOWEVER, it will seriously overlap your 16" much more so than the mini and iPad would.

Reactions: Misheemee

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Mac Mini is hooked up to 49" Samsung Odyssey G9. I use the 16" MBP just as a laptop, away from the desk.
If I sell the Mini & the iPad ($1,030), I can get the 14" MBP (education store price $1,850) for $800.
I don't know about market conditions but sadly I tend to expect one price but actually sell something less - you may need to be mindful of that.

Also What do you use your Mini and 16" for? Why not sell the mini, iPad and 16" MBP and then just use a single 14" MBP that can be hooked up to a monitor when you're home and taken with you when you travel?

Reactions: bhodinut

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Not sure I follow your logic. The Air will always be cheaper than the MBP so if you sell everything for $1030 then the MBA will cost you nothing out of pocket as opposed to $800 out of pocket for the Pro.

Am I missing something?
compared to the 12.9 iPad Pro the MacBook Air would be a downgrade display wise. I would want the 14" MBP to also be a primary computer for on the go use.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
This is indeed all over the place but lemme try to see the rationale here:

1) You are deeming the iPad Pro unnecessary since the 16" replaced it being the mobile machine
2) The mini vs the 16" docked are overlapping duties

Just basing on these, it does make sense to sell both the mini and the iPad Pro, since the 16" is replacing the functions of both. This is where the 14" purchase sounds out of the blue:

A) You want a "travel use" machine but you don't see the 16" being one? Because of weight or what?
B) You have budget leftover after the sale of mini + iPad so you want to spend it on something?
C) You stumbled upon a deal for a 14" for $800? But if you get an Air you need to buy it full price new?

Now if all these are true then 14" is indeed a steal for $800, HOWEVER, it will seriously overlap your 16" much more so than the mini and iPad would.
yes I wouldn't want to take the 16" on trips/holidays etc. that's where the iPad would come in but if I'm selling it then I need a replacement device. so I was comparing the MacBook Air to the 14" MBP.
the $800 price comes from selling the Mac mini & ipad netting $1K. the price of the 14" is $1.8K. vs the air at $900-1k.
hesitating on the air bc I'm used to the ipad mini LED display. I would be using the travel device for content consumption

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I don't know about market conditions but sadly I tend to expect one price but actually sell something less - you may need to be mindful of that.

Also What do you use your Mini and 16" for? Why not sell the mini, iPad and 16" MBP and then just use a single 14" MBP that can be hooked up to a monitor when you're home and taken with you when you travel?
the prices are offered thru Cash For Your Mac. I've used them before they are pretty reliable.

the mini is docked to the monitor. it has Ethernet plugged it. the 16" is used away from the desk (couch, bed etc). I had to get a laptop bc it was required for school so now I find myself not needing the mini & ipad.
I previously had a 13" 2014 mbp so I went for the 16" for the bigger screen, battery, thermals. plan on using the docked monitor less for a change

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
U say since having the 16 u don’t use the ipad, but would use a 14 while traveling. Sure about that?

Big waste of money. Either keep the ipad or sell and buy an Air.
Imho it’s way more important iOS to MacOS than what the mini LED display offers

Reactions: VaruLV

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
U say since having the 16 u don’t use the ipad, but would use a 14 while traveling. Sure about that?

Big waste of money. Either keep the ipad or sell and buy an Air.
Imho it’s way more important iOS to MacOS than what the mini LED display offers
yeah the iPad is powered off just laying there. I do prefer MacOS to iPadOS. my thinking was to replace the mini & ipad with a macbook that would be docked to the monitor (replacing the Mac Mini's duties), keeping the 16" as just a laptop away from the desk (i switch from desk to couch/bed setup often). and then be able to take that replacement macbook on the go/travel, keeping the 16" at home.

I had an iPad Air but that screen was terrible for content consumption, so sold it & got the 12.9" on a good amazon deal. but i only use it with the magic keyboard attached, so it's a laptop form factor 100% of the time anyway. Im not using the tablet benefits or touchscreen often. iPadOS is limiting, multi tasking is hard.

that's where the Macbook Air vs 14" MBP comes in to replace the iPad.
the decision being switching the Mac Mini & iPad ($1k value) for a MBA ($1k value) or a 14" MBP ($1.8k value).
is the extra $800 for the 14" worth it if it will be mostly docked clamshell at home, and only used on the go / for travel (which is often).

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Since you already have 16" M1 MBP, buying another one, albeit in 14" size would be wasteful and duplicate, IMHO.
Either keep 12.9 iPP and buy Magic Keyboard for it or sell it and Mac Mini and wait for good price on either 2020 M1 MBA or for refreshed, rumored M2 MBA that could or could not be announced during WWDC in early June.

But getting 14" MBP as a travel substitute for iPad is just an overkill and very costly one at that. Remember, in reality your MBA or MBP that you will get will cost you more than just those 0 or 800$, you should also count what value they have for you personally, money wise, because obviously you paid some good money for those two and the loss of value is something that you will be taking a hit on as well unless they have been used and abused for few years instead of short-ish amount of time like a year or one and a half. The way I see it, theres still alot of life and price-performance value left in those two devices that you are considering to sell that it should really be very, very clear for you that there is no other way in life to move forward without selling them both, losing some money on sale and then spending some top dollars on top of it all just to get another shiny, albeit duplicate, toy.

Reactions: maerz001

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
is your MBP 16 the one with the Touch Bar, or one of the newer ones?

Given you've used the iPad Pro 12.9 as a daily driver - I'd use it to travel and keep the 16 as a main computer. (I have a MBP 14 and and iPad Pro 12.9)

I think money would be better spent on an MacBook air as a "traveller" if you were going to do it, or just travel with your 16.

It sounds to me like you "want" a 14, don't really "need" it. if that's the case, and you can afford it - go for it. Also, there's nothing wrong with updating your devices to the current gen.

The last option that you haven't mentioned - consider selling your 16 if you get the 14? Sounds like the 16 will become obsolete for you after the MBP 14 upgrade

Reactions: VaruLV

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
compared to the 12.9 iPad Pro the MacBook Air would be a downgrade display wise. I would want the 14" MBP to also be a primary computer for on the go use.
A MacBook Air is a good computer, it is on par with a 13"MBP.
Not sure I follow your logic. The Air will always be cheaper than the MBP so if you sell everything for $1030 then the MBA will cost you nothing out of pocket as opposed to $800 out of pocket for the Pro.

Am I missing something?
Agreed. I'm lost here.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Since you already have 16" M1 MBP, buying another one, albeit in 14" size would be wasteful and duplicate, IMHO.
Either keep 12.9 iPP and buy Magic Keyboard for it or sell it and Mac Mini and wait for good price on either 2020 M1 MBA or for refreshed, rumored M2 MBA that could or could not be announced during WWDC in early June.

But getting 14" MBP as a travel substitute for iPad is just an overkill and very costly one at that. Remember, in reality your MBA or MBP that you will get will cost you more than just those 0 or 800$, you should also count what value they have for you personally, money wise, because obviously you paid some good money for those two and the loss of value is something that you will be taking a hit on as well unless they have been used and abused for few years instead of short-ish amount of time like a year or one and a half. The way I see it, theres still alot of life and price-performance value left in those two devices that you are considering to sell that it should really be very, very clear for you that there is no other way in life to move forward without selling them both, losing some money on sale and then spending some top dollars on top of it all just to get another shiny, albeit duplicate, toy.
yes the 14" would be overkill for a travel device. I'm trying to replace the mac mini & iPad with 1 device that can do both jobs: be a docked computer to the monitor & be a travel device.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
is your MBP 16 the one with the Touch Bar, or one of the newer ones?

Given you've used the iPad Pro 12.9 as a daily driver - I'd use it to travel and keep the 16 as a main computer. (I have a MBP 14 and and iPad Pro 12.9)

I think money would be better spent on an MacBook air as a "traveller" if you were going to do it, or just travel with your 16.

It sounds to me like you "want" a 14, don't really "need" it. if that's the case, and you can afford it - go for it. Also, there's nothing wrong with updating your devices to the current gen.

The last option that you haven't mentioned - consider selling your 16 if you get the 14? Sounds like the 16 will become obsolete for you after the MBP 14 upgrade
it's the 2021 MBP. I'm trying to replace the Mac Mini & iPad with 1 device that can serve as a travel device & be hooked to a monitor. that leaves the MBA & 14" as the options for a smaller lighter device.

I got the 16" bc I do most work away from the desk so I wanted the bigger screen. Don't want to travel with this big expensive device.

Sounds like a MBA would be the way to go to replace the Mac Mini & iPad? can wait to see if a new one is announced at WWDC

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
A MacBook Air is a good computer, it is on par with a 13"MBP.

Agreed. I'm lost here.
correct the 14" would be $800 more out of pocket.

I'm discussing if it's worth it over the MBA for that amount, given the screen upgrade & more functionality vs the iPad.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
since you have the monitor already and even use the 16 docked, why not sell ipad, 16, mini and just buy the 14?

the biggest issue I have with 2 computers is keeping files synchonised. even with Icloud. which just drove me nuts by not doing what it should. but thats another story

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
since you have the monitor already and even use the 16 docked, why not sell ipad, 16, mini and just buy the 14?

the biggest issue I have with 2 computers is keeping files synchonised. even with Icloud. which just drove me nuts by not doing what it should. but thats another story
I don't use the 16" docked, I've had a desk only set up for years & since getting the 16" I have enjoyed using it away from the desk. Having to plug & unplug ethernet & charger & display cable every time I want to switch from clamshell to laptop mode would be annoying throughout the day.

Currently using iCloud Drive between the Mac Mini & 16" has worked well.
Only reason I considered getting rid of the Mini & iPad was bc the iPad has been sitting powered off since the 16" arrived. So the iPad will be completely useless throughout the year except for the occasional holiday twice a year. That's a waste of a device to me so that's why I wanted to sell it & replace the Mini as well.

It's too many devices with overlapping uses.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I don't use the 16" docked, I've had a desk only set up for years & since getting the 16" I have enjoyed using it away from the desk. Having to plug & unplug ethernet & charger & display cable every time I want to switch from clamshell to laptop mode would be annoying throughout the day.

Currently using iCloud Drive between the Mac Mini & 16" has worked well.
Only reason I considered getting rid of the Mini & iPad was bc the iPad has been sitting powered off since the 16" arrived. So the iPad will be completely useless throughout the year except for the occasional holiday twice a year. That's a waste of a device to me so that's why I wanted to sell it & replace the Mini as well.

It's too many devices with overlapping uses.
Oh ok. I misread the docked mode. But with a $50 dock u would have only one USB-C cable to un/plug.

For 2 times a year i wouldn’t buy an additional laptop

Reactions: vddobrev and F23

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
My experience is that while the iPad Pro is a gigantic waste of money for what it is, sometimes I just want the simplicity of iOS and the 12.9" is the best hardware that iOS runs on. Of course there are times mobile computing needs to be done on a proper MacBook though. So if you must only have one mobile device then indeed it is wise to sell the 12.9" and replace it with MacBook.

Given your reasoning, that the 16" is a standalone mobile workstation that isn't meant to be docked, for this replacement MacBook I think even a base M1 Air can suffice. But with WWDC just half a month away we may see M2 refresh of it together with a redesign so you should just wait for it. If you don't want to wait or WWDC gives us nothing, then getting a base refurb M1 Air is still a seriously good deal nowadays.

I myself would never consider the 14" in your scenario, regardless of budget. The 14" is only considered thin and light when decked out with M1 Max and 32GB plus, given how much heavier and larger for such power in a small footprint. If at a base config it is just a really bulky MacBook Air, not the best as a travel machine. It would have made a lot more sense if you never owned the 16", such that this 14" is the only machine you have, then it does strike the middle of every requirement. But you are set on keeping the 16" which I see the 14" as a serious waste.

Reactions: F23

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
My experience is that while the iPad Pro is a gigantic waste of money for what it is, sometimes I just want the simplicity of iOS and the 12.9" is the best hardware that iOS runs on. Of course there are times mobile computing needs to be done on a proper MacBook though. So if you must only have one mobile device then indeed it is wise to sell the 12.9" and replace it with MacBook.

Given your reasoning, that the 16" is a standalone mobile workstation that isn't meant to be docked, for this replacement MacBook I think even a base M1 Air can suffice. But with WWDC just half a month away we may see M2 refresh of it together with a redesign so you should just wait for it. If you don't want to wait or WWDC gives us nothing, then getting a base refurb M1 Air is still a seriously good deal nowadays.

I myself would never consider the 14" in your scenario, regardless of budget. The 14" is only considered thin and light when decked out with M1 Max and 32GB plus, given how much heavier and larger for such power in a small footprint. If at a base config it is just a really bulky MacBook Air, not the best as a travel machine. It would have made a lot more sense if you never owned the 16", such that this 14" is the only machine you have, then it does strike the middle of every requirement. But you are set on keeping the 16" which I see the 14" as a serious waste.
the mini LED display of the 14" is what drew me in compared to the MBA. since all my current screens are mini LED & phone is OLED I'm spoiled by that contrast ratio. but the 12.9" is more versatile than the MBA for light tasks so it's worth it to keep it. unless a 15" MBA comes out at WWDC.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
If I were you, I would do nothing. I wold continue to use the IPP 12.9" for vacations, and use the Mac mini as it is. Even though your IPP is turned off and doing noting, it is still a good media consumption device for when you go on vacation. Why would you want to spend more money when it seems you are all set! You have the best of all worlds. A MBP 16", a Mac mini, and an IPP.

Unless your usage while on vacation is not purely media consumption, I do not see ANY reason to go out and buy a 14" MBP to replace both your Mac mini and IPP.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
To me it kinda sounds a little excessive. I personally don’t see how the 16 inch is a hassle for travel as it’s not much bigger than the 14 etc plus how much travel do you do? I’d maybe tempted to wait and see what the new iPad os brings this year as it ,ought be more usable formyou

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I got the 16" bc I do most work away from the desk so I wanted the bigger screen. Don't want to travel with this big expensive device.
But you're willing to travel with a big and expensive 14"?

The 16" can easily be used as a desktop replacement and a mobile computer. It can also be used for travelling. It isn't really that much heavier than the 14", it just has a larger footprint, so it seems heavy when holding it with one hand. When I pick them up using both hands, I can barely tell the difference when it comes to weight. So unless you constantly use it while travelling, carrying it in a good backpack and using it on a train/plane or in a hotel isn't really much of an issue.

14" and 16" seems redundant. So maybe switch from a 16" to a 14" when you don't like to carry the 16"? Or wait for WWDC and see what's going to happen to iPadOS. We will be able to run some form of macOS on the iPad sooner or later, so it might be worth to wait and see if that's coming later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.