Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sell my iPhone OR Trade-in?

• Sell it by myself.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Use Trade-in.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
Apple's Trade-in option could save me $600 from buying a 256GB iPhone 11 Pro Max by trading in my 256GB iPhone XS Max.
That sounds great, but here's the problem:
I bought my iPhone XS Max in early February 2019, not last September right after it came out. (About 7.5 month old.) And my battery health is still 99%. No damage at all - it's been always in a case (a smart battery case btw)

Therefore, I have a few questions:
1) How much is my iPhone worth?
2) should I sell my iPhone by myself at a higher price or trade-in for $600?
3) If I sell it, should I keep it running iOS 12.4.1 or iOS 13? Will it affect the price worth or at least the popularity?

I'd like to hear your advice!

Last edited:

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
You can try looking at Swappa sold listings to gauge how much your phone is worth. Keep in mind this is before PayPal takes their cut and your shipping costs.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Apple's Trade-in option could save me $600 from buying a 256GB iPhone 11 Pro Max by trading in my 256GB iPhone XS Max.
That sounds great, but here's the problem:
I bought my iPhone XS Max in early February 2019, not last September right after it came out. (About 7.5 month old.) And my battery health is still 99%. No damage at all - it's been always in a case (a smart battery case btw)

Therefore, I have a few questions:
1) How much is my iPhone worth?
2) should I sell my iPhone by myself at a higher price or trade-in for $600?
3) If I sell it, should I keep it running iOS 12.4.1 or iOS 13? Will it affect the price worth or at least the popularity?

I'd like to hear your advice!

I would trade in. I hate dealing with broke people online , i feel like its asking for trouble

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's a question of convenience (lower price) and risk (probable higher price). You may get more, but you'll need to do more, wait some, and with many private sales there's a risk of being defrauded by the buyer. Swappa may or may not present those risk issues, but eBay certainly does.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This year I finally joined Apple UP. Got a Pro Max midnight green being delivered tomorrow at my office. My current XS Max 64GB was under next upgrade every year thru AT&T. I only owed like $520 as I made 2 extra payments. I do this every year. I paid off the phone Monday and sold it today on swappa for $720 shipped. My phone is super mint. I have good feedbacks on swappa. Sold quick. I’m shipping XS Max Saturday. Some prefer to trade in to Apple for lower while others just resale on swappa or other platforms.

Reactions: MrAperture

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
If you’re going to trade in I would use another trade in site instead of Apple as you’ll get more. I’m trading my Xs Max 256gb for $715.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I always used to sell on my own, but got tired of the hassle so for the last two upgrades I’ve traded in.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
It's a question of convenience (lower price) and risk (probable higher price). You may get more, but you'll need to do more, wait some, and with many private sales there's a risk of being defrauded by the buyer. Swappa may or may not present those risk issues, but eBay certainly does.

this. I’ve sold on swaps and it’s pretty good....but...a trade in is guaranteed and quick vs the time and effort of selling. Swappa shows the average prices phones are being sold for so you should have a decent idea of what it’s worth.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I would normally just put it up on craigslist and take cash only. I'm aware of all the tricks the bad guys can do, so I would normally prefer to get extra $$ by doing so.

Online option is good too but with the fees and shipping costs (people love free shipping) its not really worth it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I would normally just put it up on craigslist and take cash only. I'm aware of all the tricks the bad guys can do, so I would normally prefer to get extra $$ by doing so.

Online option is good too but with the fees and shipping costs (people love free shipping) its not really worth it.

I've done this, and it's low risk, but timing is incredibly unpredictable. Sometimes it's gone in a day, sometimes it takes weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.