Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was looking on ebay to see how much my 1.25ghz, aluminum, 15", 1.25gig powerbook would go for. It has applecare for another year and all the original cables, documentation etc (and a brand new higher capacity battery they use in the current pbs). It seems like I could get around $1400 because that seems the average but I see some go for as much as $2k. Why would a rev. a powerbook go for more than newer ones? I'd be selling this to buy a intel powerbook when they come out in january. Would it be to my advantage to sell it now when the best they have is only slightly better than mine or wait until the intels come out in which point the pbs might keep their value since you cannot get them anymore (kind of like how the fastest powermacs that can natively boot os 9 go for a lot more than you'd think). What do you guys think I should do?
Thanks,
Stephen

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Intels in January? Don't think so. I have a feeling the first Intels will be around WWDC in June, and Apple's already stated the Power line will be the last to get updated.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Oh definitely not. The motherboards started to be manufactured this month. Rumors on macrumors also pointed also to a beginning of the year release. Steve even said that by "this time next year" (being june) they would have some models out already.

EDIT: I'm talking about the powerbook line....i was using the powermac as an example. Sorry for the mix up.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I doubt it will come out that soon in January.. seeing as to how they are still making major changes to MacOS at this stage.

But knowing Apple, for the sake of marketing (as always) they might ship out a beta retail product.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
excalibur313 said:
Oh definitely not. The motherboards started to be manufactured this month. Rumors on macrumors also pointed also to a beginning of the year release. Steve even said that by "this time next year" (being june) they would have some models out already.

EDIT: I'm talking about the powerbook line....i was using the powermac as an example. Sorry for the mix up.

Steve also stated that the PowerMacs and PowerBooks would be the last to be updated.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/08/20050823140931.shtml

The yonah processors for the powerbooks will be the first to come out. It's been rumored at macrumors and I know someone on the in who also confirmed that the powerbooks will be first. I fully acknowledge that they might run into delays but the plan is the beginning of the year.

EDIT: I agree that minimacs will be pretty soon too because they will use a modified yonah processor.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
yg17 said:
Steve also stated that the PowerMacs and PowerBooks would be the last to be updated.
When? As of now, it's all speculation. He made a big deal about power consumption, and we all know how much the G4 has sucked for awhile, so I'd guess the PowerBooks would be part of the first batch. PowerMacs will probably wait for the next gen CPU, and for now the G5 is still ok. I can't see an iBook being faster than a PowerBook, and the Pentium M is faster than the top mobile G4.

I'd hold on to it for awhile. See what comes out and when. There will still be a market for it, but yeah, you won't get as much. You will get to use it in the mean time though, so that's a plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.