Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I am thinking of selling, if not now, then in a few months.

I am pondering if I should sell my tricked out cMP (6-core 3.47 48GB, 1TB NVME, see details below) or strip it down and eBay the more expensive upgrades separately?

For example sell the whole package for maybe $750-$800. Not sure if I could get more now. Thoughts?

Or, sell the cMP with a Radeon 7950, 500GB SSD on a Velocity x2 card, an Inatek USB 3 card and throw in a couple of 1-2TB HDDs for maybe $400-$500?. Then sell the RX850, 1TB NVME + adapter, and Sonnet Pro USB-C card as separate items?
Maybe I leave the RX850 in the cMP and sell the HD7950 separately as it is a boot ready GPU and could fetch more on eBay ($150) from someone who wants the boot screen AND Mojave?

So, semi-upgraded cMP (with Velocity 500GB SSD, HD7050/RX580, and USB 3) or super upgraded cMP?

Thanks for your thoughts.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
  • Sell the 7950 separately. I don't see a sales price difference between this and a lesser card when included with a Mac Pro.
  • Leave the Rx 580 in. I think it will add more value than it would get separately. It seems to be a hot item right now to have an MP with Rx 580 already installed.
  • Leave the Inatek USB 3 in. Not worth the bother to sell separately.
  • Leave the Velocity x2 and SSD in. PCIe SATA cards aren't a hot item anymore. Having a Mac Pro with a bootable SSD is valuable.
  • Sell the Sonnet USB C separately. This is a specialty item. Most MP shoppers won't pay extra for a Mac Pro with it. At least not much.
  • 1TB NVMe would likely be best as separate. All that matters is the MP has an SSD. Which the 2.5 covers. I'd think this kit would sell better by itself as "2009 2010 2012 Mac Pro compatible 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD and adapter"
If you really want to maximize profit. Sell the now partially stripped down Mac Pro on Craigslist, Letgo, &c. Shipping and fees are a killer on the Mac Pro. They'll suck $150 to $200 out of the potential sales price. Plus there is no worry about losing $150 if it gets damaged during shipping and you are stuck refunding shipping and paying for return shipping. This is especially problematic with a Mac Pro. Those handles are fragile and must be protected very well. Sell the parts on eBay.

Take lots of pictures. Go through them and get rid of bad/blurry photos. Pay attention to lighting and angles. Take clutter free pictures. People don't want to see a wire, crumbs, dirty socks, Mr Fluffers or anything else on the sides or background. If the object is reflective you are selling. Pay attention to what is being reflected.

Give a detailed description. Pinpont everything that is wrong with it. Highlight everything you've modified/upgraded. Mention if it has dents, dings or scratches. Talk about all the work you've done to thoroughly clean, test and wipe data.

Reactions: h9826790 and mavots

mavots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the tips!. I was thinking local as well. I am a photographer and always take great shots-really helps with sales and my stuff is normally in pristine condition. Also Ebay of course gets their cut.
I was thinking of selling the NVME and USB-C separately as well. Not sure about the 7950 as I may want to keep the RX580 for an eGPU. I'm going with a 6-core 2018 Mac Mini and wait for a refurb or used MP7,1 in a couple of years.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks for the tips!. I was thinking local as well. I am a photographer and always take great shots-really helps with sales and my stuff is normally in pristine condition. Also Ebay of course gets their cut.
I was thinking of selling the NVME and USB-C separately as well. Not sure about the 7950 as I may want to keep the RX580 for an eGPU. I'm going with a 6-core 2018 Mac Mini and wait for a refurb or used MP7,1 in a couple of years.

You're welcome. That sounds like a pretty good plan too.

My gut says to sell the 7950 separately. Sell the Rx 580 with the Mac Pro. Once you factor in buying a used Vega 56/64. It may net out to about the same if you sold the Mac Pro with the 7950 and kept the Rx 580. That's just a gut feeling on a cursory examination of Mac Pro Sales. Take it for what you will.

mavots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I think you may be right. The RX580 will certainly sweeten the deal for the cMP. I can always get some other GPU when I need it.
The 7950 could sell to someone who wants Mojave with a boot screen.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.