Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bizzle79

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
New England
Hi everyone,

I have an upgrade on AT&T and would like to upgrade and then sell off the phone How do I go about selling it "new in box" without opening it at all? (or should I open it to ensure that there are no manufacturing defects etc)

How do I work around the activation piece without opening it and also preventing my current sim from being fried.

Would appreciate some guidance and links if there is a step by step guide there. Thanks

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you order the phone online, they will just send you the phone with a sim inside, but that sim will not be active until you go through the steps to activate it online. In other words, any person can just add the phone to their account and the sim will be activated on the line for which credentials were given. If I am not mistaken, AT&T provides instructions in the box if you order from them (not sure about Apple).

As far as selling, it's really up to you. You can honestly go either way. Depends on where you want to sell, I guess. If it's a place like craigslist and I was the buyer I would be fine either way. I would still want to meet at an AT&T to make sure IMEI is clean and that they can activate the phone for me on the spot. So again, up to you. There is no absolute NEED for you to open the phone I wouldn't think, especially with Apple's stellar warranty service. If it is defective, the potential buyer can get it swapped in a Jiffy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.