Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Has anyone sold their iphone they leased on the iphone upgrade program? I'm curious if there's any hurdles you had to jump through in regards to paying off the citizens one loan and the transferring of appelcare+ to the new owner?

There's nowhere on the citizens one site to actually pay off the loan in full. I'm assuming one must call them to arrange that?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
This is relevant to my interests.

While I paid cash for my 6S Plus, I imagine I'll be doing the iPhone Upgrade program for the 7 ... unless selling it for next year's model is going to be a problem, in which case I'll just pay cash for it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Has anyone sold their iphone they leased on the iphone upgrade program? I'm curious if there's any hurdles you had to jump through in regards to paying off the citizens one loan and the transferring of appelcare+ to the new owner?

There's nowhere on the citizens one site to actually pay off the loan in full. I'm assuming one must call them to arrange that?

You can pay it off in full by calling Citizens One. For the peace of mind of you and the buyer, I would pay it off before selling it. Then you can show proof to the buyer that its paid off and they don't have to worry about it being blacklisted.

This is relevant to my interests.

While I paid cash for my 6S Plus, I imagine I'll be doing the iPhone Upgrade program for the 7 ... unless selling it for next year's model is going to be a problem, in which case I'll just pay cash for it.

If you plan on selling it, why join the program to begin with? The idea of the program is so you can upgrade yearly with the ease and convenience of just going to the Apple Store, giving them back your current phone for the new one and signing up for a new loan. Additionally, the IUP comes with AppleCare+, so if you plan on paying cash without AppleCare+ it would be cheaper in the long run to just pay for it up front.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I paid off mine and sold it no problem. My husbands I did not pay off, but we also sold it. Ill just keep paying the monthly payment :)

Meanwhile, I am now leasing my phones through the carrier. It's essentially the same thing but don't have to use my CC for it. Just adds to the bill each month. And I can still upgrade every year to any phone. No contracts. Just have to pay the 50% of the phone and can upgrade anytime.

Went to an Android phone (Samsung S7 Edge)....battery drain is HORRIBLE. I may be paying the $$$ to get out of it and back to iPhone. Ugh!

Reactions: Loco Emperor

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You can pay it off in full by calling Citizens One. For the peace of mind of you and the buyer, I would pay it off before selling it. Then you can show proof to the buyer that its paid off and they don't have to worry about it being blacklisted.

If you plan on selling it, why join the program to begin with? The idea of the program is so you can upgrade yearly with the ease and convenience of just going to the Apple Store, giving them back your current phone for the new one and signing up for a new loan. Additionally, the IUP comes with AppleCare+, so if you plan on paying cash without AppleCare+ it would be cheaper in the long run to just pay for it up front.

Whoops, yes. Mis'spoke' (a casualty of doing too many things at the same time. I always get AC+. The Upgrade program will almost certainly be the route I go this year.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I paid off mine and sold it no problem. My husbands I did not pay off, but we also sold it. Ill just keep paying the monthly payment :)

Meanwhile, I am now leasing my phones through the carrier. It's essentially the same thing but don't have to use my CC for it. Just adds to the bill each month. And I can still upgrade every year to any phone. No contracts. Just have to pay the 50% of the phone and can upgrade anytime.

Went to an Android phone (Samsung S7 Edge)....battery drain is HORRIBLE. I may be paying the $$$ to get out of it and back to iPhone. Ugh!

Must have an app or two that is draining the battery. My 7 Edge has great battery life.

Reactions: ABC5S

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl

you cant sell something you dont own.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I personally would NEVER purchase an item still under lease and take the seller at his word that he will pay it off.

As I recall, there have been several threads through the years here of buyers complaining that their recently purchased phones were blacklisted for nonpayment when the seller just took off with the money.

"Be wise as snakes and innocent as doves."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would see no joy in paying almost up to $40 a month for someone else's phone because I couldn't wait a little longer to pay it off.
Well, you are paying off a loan basically, and at that point using some of the money you made selling the device.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I personally would NEVER purchase an item still under lease and take the seller at his word that he will pay it off.

As I recall, there have been several threads through the years here of buyers complaining that their recently purchased phones were blacklisted for nonpayment when the seller just took off with the money.

"Be wise as snakes and innocent as doves."

Exactly. You're just asking for trouble if you purchase a phone that's still on an EIP. Doesn't even matter who, family, friends, nobody.

I wouldn't even sell one before I pay it off. Like @Mlrollin91 said, I want the peace of mind knowing that the buyer has no grounds to claim I did something shady.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm thinking at this point i'll call and get a refund from the remaining applecare and then i'll pay off the loan and sell it on swappa. Nobody who has inquired about the phone has cared about applecare anyways. And i'm getting nothing but scams and no shows from craigslist and offerup.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I sold my iPhone and used the money to pay off my eip. I've been a member of cell trader for a long time and have good feedback to be trusted thankfully!

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I'm thinking at this point i'll call and get a refund from the remaining applecare and then i'll pay off the loan and sell it on swappa. Nobody who has inquired about the phone has cared about applecare anyways. And i'm getting nothing but scams and no shows from craigslist and offerup.
I'm not sure you can do that? You entered into a contract with Apple for the upgrade program I don't know if they can then split out the Apple Care! Why not wait a month and get the new iPhone?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Does Apple blacklist the phone if you default on payments or do they just charge your CC in full?

I thought the phones they give you through this program are unlocked and that they would just charge you in full if you defaulted on the loan terms.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Does Apple blacklist the phone if you default on payments or do they just charge your CC in full?

I thought the phones they give you through this program are unlocked and that they would just charge you in full if you defaulted on the loan terms.
Apple won't do anything I don't think, the loan is between the individual and Citizens One. Apple get paid in full by Citizens One when you take out the loan. They aren't interested in being in the consumer financing business, hence they partnered with a bank.

Reactions: BeeGood

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Apple won't do anything I don't think, the loan is between the individual and Citizens One. Apple get paid in full by Citizens One when you take out the loan. They aren't interested in being in the consumer financing business, hence they partnered with a bank.

So the bank would just go after the balance due and that's it. It seems once you lease these unlocked phones you are free to sell and people are free to buy but if you stop paying you will pay the balance on the phone? I'm also assuming checking the ESN/IMEI on a site like swappa would show this as NOT on a payment plan? I don't see the danger in purchasing one of these leased phones if this is all true.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
So the bank would just go after the balance due and that's it. It seems once you lease these unlocked phones you are free to sell and people are free to buy but if you stop paying you will pay the balance on the phone? I'm also assuming checking the ESN/IMEI on a site like swappa would show this as NOT on a payment plan? I don't see the danger in purchasing one of these leased phones if this is all true.
If you just financed the phone over 24 months then you should be in the clear. If you signed up for the upgrade plan then in theory Apple are expecting you to turn up 1 year later to hand in your current handset and take a new one. At that time Apple would give you a credit equivalent to the outstanding balance on the loan and you would start a new loan for the new phone and AppleCare+.

I don't know what happens if you don't appear to get your iPhone 7?

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
If you just financed the phone over 24 months then you should be in the clear. If you signed up for the upgrade plan then in theory Apple are expecting you to turn up 1 year later to hand in your current handset and take a new one. At that time Apple would give you a credit equivalent to the outstanding balance on the loan and you would start a new loan for the new phone and AppleCare+.

I don't know what happens if you don't appear to get your iPhone 7?

With the upgrade program, you can turn in your phone and upgrade to the new one after one year, OR continue to make payments for 2 years and own the phone outright at the end. Nobody is going to care if you don't show up to get your iPhone 7....because upgrading annually is not a requirement of the program.

Reactions: BeeGood

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
With the upgrade program, you can turn in your phone and upgrade to the new one after one year, OR continue to make payments for 2 years and own the phone outright at the end. Nobody is going to care if you don't show up to get your iPhone 7....because upgrading annually is not a requirement of the program.
Are you sure? They had two distinct offers at the time, either a 24 month finance option, or the upgrade plan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.