Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I am selling an iPhone 6s for really cheap on Craigslist. Couldn’t list it on swappa as the battery is at 77%. An interested party wants the imei number. I always remember hearing that is a really bad idea. Is that true? Should I not do that? Is only a scammer going to ask for it?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
They just want to see if it's been black listed. I have given it to people who were interested in phones I was selling without any issues. I wouldn't give the serial number though.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Same thoughts here, imei is usually used to look up if the device is blacklisted somewhere.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
Ok I decided on a compromise. I emailed them back and said I am totally willing to let you look up the status in person before you pay as I would feel better doing that then just giving it out over email. I figure if he shows up in person he is definitely a serious buyer. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ok I decided on a compromise. I emailed them back and said I am totally willing to let you look up the status in person before you pay as I would feel better doing that then just giving it out over email. I figure if he shows up in person he is definitely a serious buyer. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?
What are you worried about by providing the IMEI?

Radeon962

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
I am selling an iPhone 6s for really cheap on Craigslist. Couldn’t list it on swappa as the battery is at 77%. An interested party wants the imei number. I always remember hearing that is a really bad idea. Is that true? Should I not do that? Is only a scammer going to ask for it?

You could also just run it through the IMEI check at Swappa at: https://swappa.com/imei

There is a limit to the number of free checks you can do without listing a phone for sale but if it’s just a one-off sale then it should not be an issue.

If I remember correctly you will get a link that you can forward showing that it is clean.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
What are you worried about by providing the IMEI?

I googled it and it says people can get your location and get into and listen to your calls with that info. I know swappa immediately deletes photos showing imei numbers and I figure it’s for a reason.

If it isn’t reasonable for them I will just move on. Can throw it in a drawer and keep for a spare. 60 or 70 bucks is hardly worth the trouble of doing this in the first place lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.