Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Summit20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2020
Are there certain websites you would suggest using to get cash for older Iphone's? There are quite a few online, but have never used a 3rd party site. I have always traded in to my carrier.
[automerge]1578492519[/automerge]
Sorry everyone. I didn't see the search feature. Any idea how to delete my topic? Seems like there is plenty of info already on the forum.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Swappa, but there will be lowballers that you have to ignore. Also they will always ask for battery health so post that upfront. You have a higher chance of selling if the percentage is over 90%.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Swappa, but there will be lowballers that you have to ignore. Also they will always ask for battery health so post that upfront. You have a higher chance of selling if the percentage is over 90%.

Great points. I probably would also look at selling the phone locally, the seller will still be haggled by potential buyers, but they won’t be as technical in terms of battery health/storage, etc.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
eBay or Mercari would be my suggestions for online. Craigslist or letgo for local

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
eBay or Mercari would be my suggestions for online. Craigslist or letgo for local

I’ve tried letgo, it’s_a _waste_ of_ time. It’s essentially an app where people want ‘bottom barrel prices’ for whatever you’re selling (Like it’s probably comparable to a garage sale), and if you have a price that they don’t agree with, they will try to haggle you.

Also, letgo’s app is not very stable, as some of the messages don’t deliver successfully, random crashes, slow to load etc. [There’s quite a bit of discussion on these noted issues.]

If Somebody has Facebook, I would utilize marketplace selling, where it’s not as atrocious as let-go is.

Last edited:

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
The lowballed thing is just part of online or honestly used selling of any nature. If you put a damn dollar on it people would offer 50 cents. Is what it is and unavoidable.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Are there certain websites you would suggest using to get cash for older Iphone's? There are quite a few online, but have never used a 3rd party site. I have always traded in to my carrier.
[automerge]1578492519[/automerge]
Sorry everyone. I didn't see the search feature. Any idea how to delete my topic? Seems like there is plenty of info already on the forum.
Have to agree with Swappa I buy/sell there a lot. Currently have a new iPhone Se for sale (shameless plug) if you're gonna do the online route and even trying locally isn't a bad option either. You don't need to pay a commission/seller fee or pay to have it shipped. Just ensure if you try to sell it locally, and I cannot stress this enough, pick a safe place to meet up.

Also, you can mark your post as resolved, but you can't delete it on here.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I’ve tried letgo, it’s_a _waste_ of_ time. It’s essentially an app where people want ‘bottom barrel prices’ for whatever you’re selling (Like it’s probably comparable to a garage sale), and if you have a price that they don’t agree with, they will try to haggle you.

Also, letgo’s app is not very stable, as some of the messages don’t deliver successfully, random crashes, slow to load etc. [There’s quite a bit of discussion on these noted issues.]

If Somebody has Facebook, I would utilize marketplace selling, where it’s not as atrocious as let-go is.

I agree that people using letgo can and will just waste your time although I have sold dozens of MacBooks and laptops on letgo not as much success with phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScreenSavers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.