Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TreacleTart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2022
I have an iPhone 12 Mini that I’m looking to sell in favour of a new iPhone 14 Pro Max. This phone initially belonged to my husband (he passed it on to me less than 2 weeks ago after he too, got an upgrade).

Found a local buyer (small town in the middle of nowhere) willing to pay £450. I’m meeting her tomorrow evening. I used the ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ option to set it back to its factory state but my husband says that’s not enough? He thinks that we’d have to restore it using iTunes (don’t have a Mac or a computer here) so the buyer won’t be able to access our data/account and that we should cancel the sale with the buyer. He says that if we don’t go the iTunes route our Apple account will be link to theirs. Is this really necessary? We could really use the money and his plan is for us to restore it on iTunes when our family comes over for Christmas (some of them have macs). Thanks for the help!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have an iPhone 12 Mini that I’m looking to sell in favour of a new iPhone 14 Pro Max. This phone initially belonged to my husband (he passed it on to me less than 2 weeks ago after he too, got an upgrade).

Found a local buyer (small town in the middle of nowhere) willing to pay £450. I’m meeting her tomorrow evening. I used the ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ option to set it back to its factory state but my husband says that’s not enough? He thinks that we’d have to restore it using iTunes (don’t have a Mac or a computer here) so the buyer won’t be able to access our data/account and that we should cancel the sale with the buyer. He says that if we don’t go the iTunes route our Apple account will be link to theirs. Is this really necessary? We could really use the money and his plan is for us to restore it on iTunes when our family comes over for Christmas (some of them have macs). Thanks for the help!
You don’t need to use iTunes. Erase all content and settings does exactly what it says it does. Just make sure to remove activation lock. Not because it’ll allow someone into your account but they won’t be able to use it. Also use precautions when meeting strangers like do it in a public place (not a parking lot) and ask for cash.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Erase all content and settings, remove any Find My link to your Apple ID and you're all set.

The days of needing to restore/reset through iTunes are long gone, 100% not required anymore. They won't be able to access anything as there won't be anything on the phone to access.

TreacleTart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2022
Thanks for the replies! So just to be absolute sure, I’ve done the ‘Erase all Content and Settings’ thing, so the phone’s pretty much as good as new and the new owner will not have her account linked to ours in any way, right? In the sense too that there’s no ‘iPhone history’ or something in some setting or hidden file where they’ll be able to get our apple account details.

Sorry I know it all sounds a touch silly but we’re just a bit over-cautious after a nasty incident where we had our accounts stolen (after a phone sale but that might’ve been just a coincidence) and ended up losing all our data and photos!

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the replies! So just to be absolute sure, I’ve done the ‘Erase all Content and Settings’ thing, so the phone’s pretty much as good as new and the new owner will not have her account linked to ours in any way, right? In the sense too that there’s no ‘iPhone history’ or something in some setting or hidden file where they’ll be able to get our apple account details.

Sorry I know it all sounds a touch silly but we’re just a bit over-cautious after a nasty incident where we had our accounts stolen (after a phone sale but that might’ve been just a coincidence) and ended up losing all our data and photos!
Just make sure you're logged out of your iCloud and you're good to go.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If want to be extra careful, visit appleid.apple.com > Devices, or if you have another Apple device, Settings > iCloud (aka your name). Verify the device is no longer tied to your account: if it still is, can remove from the account in either location.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
You have to make sure that in your AppleID or whatever other AppleID was/is associated with that phone, that those AppleIDs are not still linked to the phone. Just erasing content won't work for that purpose, as far as I understand.

Reactions: TreacleTart

TreacleTart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2022
Tapped through the setup process WITHOUT keying in any information and the box where my name should’ve been on the top says ‘Sign in to your iPhone’ so hopefully I’ve done it right and signed out this time. Went to appleid.apple.com too and the 12 mini doesn’t show up either so hopefully that’s right too.

Just erased it all again so it’d be at the ‘hello’ screen once more.

Shall proceed with the sale then. Thank you all so much for all the help!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Tapped through the setup process WITHOUT keying in any information and the box where my name should’ve been on the top says ‘Sign in to your iPhone’ so hopefully I’ve done it right and signed out this time. Went to appleid.apple.com too and the 12 mini doesn’t show up either so hopefully that’s right too.

Just erased it all again so it’d be at the ‘hello’ screen once more.

Shall proceed with the sale then. Thank you all so much for all the help!
Yea that's all good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.