Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Hi...well the 3G iPhone will be coming out in a few days and I am selling my iPhone 8GB. Now, I have a backup phone ready to use but I need some help.

-How can I unlock my iPhone?
-What do I do with the SIM card? Do I take it out and put it in my backup phone?
-How can I fully erase my iPhone?

I am sure these questions have been asked...but I can't find them. Thanks

ALittleDrive

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Answers...very easy!

Hi...well the 3G iPhone will be coming out in a few days and I am selling my iPhone 8GB. Now, I have a backup phone ready to use but I need some help.

1. How can I unlock my iPhone?
2. What do I do with the SIM card? Do I take it out and put it in my backup phone?
3. How can I fully erase my iPhone?

I am sure these questions have been asked...but I can't find them. Thanks

1. Google: How to unlock an iphone, very easy!
2. The old Sim card is dead, go to AT&T and they will activate new phone for free. Take it out before you sell it though, then, throw it away.
3. To "erase" your phone, in iTunes, restore to original settings...this will erase all data on phone...then erase any call info or texting you got after that and before you took out the SIM...

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I just unlocked my 16gb and put it on Ebay. Deleted all the info. But before all that, I picked up one of those ATT Go Phones at Best Buy for $15 and popped my iPhone sim card in it. Works perfectly until the 3G is out.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Alright I am done. I took my SIM out and everything has been deleted. I have one last question. How do I know if I successfully unlocked my phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.