Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kae1366

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
I am trying to sell my iPhone 7 on eBay, it ended at $310 and the buyer asked for the IMEI to check for activation lock...fine. Gave it. Now though I received this message (image attached) and it kind of made my scammer senses tingle. Anything that I should be concerned about here? Buyer has like 506 positives.

Yes—I know I know eBay and PayPal are terrible for selling phones due to scams but I needed the money quick.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2765866B-EDE2-4C44-BF9B-C669C0A29A82.jpeg
    2765866B-EDE2-4C44-BF9B-C669C0A29A82.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 365

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Only thing i can think of is someone trying to exploit the Two-factor authentication linked to your Apple ID (thats if you have it). They would theoretically have your "trusted device" and "trusted passcode" if you changed it (please do not change the passcode of the device through settings) and they can use those details to reset your Apple ID password. However this is easily overcome by just erasing your phone as new and leaving it in the setup assistant and advise the buyer that they can set it up themselves after purchase.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am trying to sell my iPhone 7 on eBay, it ended at $310 and the buyer asked for the IMEI to check for activation lock...fine. Gave it. Now though I received this message (image attached) and it kind of made my scammer senses tingle. Anything that I should be concerned about here? Buyer has like 506 positives.

Yes—I know I know eBay and PayPal are terrible for selling phones due to scams but I needed the money quick.

Thanks in advance!

Seems like you’re diverting logic and only thinking of financial sense. If something doesn’t seem right, it likely isn’t. Perhaps reevaluate before moving forward with this.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I vote no on this one for sure. Craig's List is safer. When it comes to iPhones, eBay is the worst on earth!

Now that the sale is over, the buyer can post negative feedback on you. Possible the account was hacked and the real eBay member know nothing about this.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Sell on swappa

turst me you dont want too get scamed your self

i got a fake iphone X on ebay and now am haveing too work with paypal too get my $ back

it is safer too buy and sell stuff on swappa so if i where you i would run away and take you listing down

Last edited:
Reactions: alexmarchuk

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sell on swappa

turst me you dont want too get scamed your self

i got a fake iphone X on ebay and now am haveing too work with paypal too get my $ back

it is safer too buy and sell stuff on swappa so if i where you i would run away and take you listing down

Swappa has its risks as well. Ebay might be considered worse, but plenty of others Have had negative experiences with Swappa as well. My best advice is to sell something locally in person for cash in hand, that way doesn’t take any liability to the seller, especially with Apple products.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is somewhat all past tense as the auction is over.

If the buyer pays, even if he does not, he can ruin your feedback.

Out of over 600 ebay sales the only negative I got was for not sending the item via overnight. The auction was clearly marked UPS ground but still got negative feedback because he wanted is faster was not will to pay extra. All for a stupid Leica lens filter. LOL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.