Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Hi guys,

I damaged my macbook air (2013) about 7 months ago. I spilled sugared tea on it and the screen went blank. I immediately unplugged the macbook from its charger. I took it apart, dried it by patting it down with toilet paper, and then carefully scrubbed them with an earbud doused in rubbing alcohol. Then I left the parts in rice for about 7 months (I had to go to school, and just kind of forgot about it).

My question is, how do I know if these parts are still functional? If they are still functional, how can I retrieve the memory from the laptop? How and where can I sell these parts? Craigslist? Any other place on the internet where I can sell this stuff? How much do you think I can get for them?
[doublepost=1459035112][/doublepost]Any advice would be helpful!

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
The SSD can be removed and sold, but the RAM is soldered in. You could probably sell the SSD, battery, screen, and the body. EBay or Craigslist or the marketplace forum come to mind as places to sell.

Check iFixit.com for guides on disassembley. If you are brave and or handy

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Ok, about the SSD. How do I retrieve, or at the very least, scrub the data from there? As to the battery, I'm worried that it's not functional because it was a little wet. Is there any way to tell if it works?

Finally, I noticed you missed the logic board? Since this was the part that was most wet when I took it apart, something probably short-circuited in there. Is there any way to save this or repair it, and sell it?

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
You could put it back together but leave the display cable disconnected, and then try an external display. If that works and the unit chimes then it's just the display that's dead, but if you don't get a chime or image on the external display, then it'll be the logic board that's gone.

Depending on where you are, an Apple Store or AASP could try and run diagnostics for you, as a freebie favour, and maybe give you a bit more advice, as to the battery, SSD, etc.

We've dealt with a few 13" MBAs that have suffered the same fate and it was just the display that was borked. Data was able to be recovered using their machine and an external display.

Hope you get it sorted.

Danny

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
I agree, its hard to say what could and might be broken and working without trying to boot it up and describing what you see and hear.

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure I can't put it back together. So that means I have to go and get it checked at the Apple Store. It's all in parts though. Will they still be able to check if it works? Any tips on how to get them to do it for free???

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure I can't put it back together. So that means I have to go and get it checked at the Apple Store. It's all in parts though. Will they still be able to check if it works? Any tips on how to get them to do it for free???
Maybe you can use one of the ifixit guides to reassemble it? I wouldn't have thought they would help if you turned up with it in parts, but you never know.
Just be honest about what happened to it, why you stripped it down and see what they say. Hopefully the person you speak to will be able to help you.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
You could also check craigslist for a local fix it shop and see if they would evaluate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.