Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
I am selling my "old" iMac, and want to make sure all of my stuff is outta there, and like new. Is Erase/Install the best way? I have already migrated all of my settings/users, etc over to the new one.

iDONTdoWINDOWS

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Riverton, Utah
clcnyc said:
I am selling my "old" iMac, and want to make sure all of my stuff is outta there, and like new. Is Erase/Install the best way? I have already migrated all of my settings/users, etc over to the new one.
When I sold my G3 ibook that is what I did. Not sure if it is the best way just my $.02

ebow

macrumors 6502a
clcnyc said:

In preparation for selling my old iMac I made sure to use Disk Utility on the installer CD to do a secure erase of the drive. I let it run for a number of passes--I forget how many--just to be sure my personal data was effectivly destroyed.

I don't think I bothered to install the OS after that. I wasn't sure what would happen when I got to the "choose a usename" part of the installation, so I left the process for the buyer to do. I figured it's simple enough...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A simple erase and install will be fine in most cases. Only do the zeroing out if there's stuff on there that you don't want to be found. Otherwise it's more work than it's worth. :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ebow said:
I wasn't sure what would happen when I got to the "choose a usename" part of the installation, so I left the process for the buyer to do. I figured it's simple enough...

When it gets to the "choose a username," just hold down the powerbutton until the computer shuts off. When the new owner powers it up, it's like new. :)

Yeah, as others have said, disk utility to zero it out of you're really worried, but by and large erase and install is good enough.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
QCassidy352 said:
When it gets to the "choose a username," just hold down the powerbutton until the computer shuts off. When the new owner powers it up, it's like new. :)

Brilliant! Thanks for that tidbit. I probably could have guessed that but I haven't done too much OS setup (aside from my own) since the days of OSes 8 and 9 back in college.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Use a large magnet. Works everytime.

All this talk about erasing data 500x is nice and all, but in reality, what are the chances the person who is buying your computer actually knows how to do that level of data recovery?

Still a good piece of mind though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.