Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patmort02

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Ok, well since I am going to need to run windows programs at school, I have ordered a macbook and will be putting my powerbook up on ebay very soon. I have a few programs such as Toast 7 and Microsoft Office that I would like to include on the computer to make it seem more appealing. I figure I am going to have to wipe my hard drive clean before I sell it...so I guess I am a little confused as to how other ebayers are selling their computers with software installed on it.

In other words, what is the best thing to do with my powerbook before shipping it off, and how can I include software on the machine?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AML707

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Congrats on the MacBook,
I would burn the .dmgs of the programs and the serials, on a disc.
Just my 2 cents:)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Well you can only sell programs that you own a licensed version of, and if you sell them with the computer, you won't have the programs any more.

So, if you're cool with that, wipe the computer, install the programs on it and include the install CDs with the computer when you ship it.

Or, better yet, wipe the computer then offer to install any of the programs that you have before shipping the computer. That way the buyer pays, requests programs x y and z, you install them, then ship it (with install CDs).

edit:

ALM707 said:
Congrats on the MacBook,
I would burn the .dmgs of the programs and the serials, on a disc.
Just my 2 cents

That's 1) illegal and 2) fraud if you make it seem like you're selling the legal versions of the programs. If I ordered a computer preinstalled with a lot of software, I'd want it to be the legal versions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.