Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkmninya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
Hey guys, I am considering switching from an S23 Ultra to an iPhone. I recently got a Macbook and absolutely love it. When I also tested Apple Music and was also mindblowed. I am considering switching to the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

My question is, is this change worth it? Should I sell my S23 Ultra for Iphone 14 Pro Max ? Has anybody did the same ? Or should I wait for the new Iphone

Reactions: Evvie

EwanWhoseArmy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2023
Personally I think it's always worth checking out the previous year's model. The jump between phones each year is becoming less and less significant, so depending on your budget, you could check out a refurbished or second-hand 13 Pro Max instead from a reputable place and still save a significant amount over getting a brand new iPhone 14 Pro Max. It does depend on if you were looking at a specific feature of the 14 though and/or if budget is not a problem.

I myself did the reverse and switched away from iPhone last year - I was still using an iPhone 6 but switched to a Fairphone 3+ for repairability (easpecially an easy to change battery), dual-SIM and a minijack port. I was also considering a Pixel for compatibility with Graphene OS so I could lock down my data (5G was not an important factor for me as it's still as good as nonexistent in terms of actually being usable right now).

Ultimately it's about the features you are looking for, the areas you are willing to compromise on and whether or not there is a specific reason you want an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hey guys, I am considering switching from an S23 Ultra to an iPhone. I recently got a Macbook and absolutely love it. When I also tested Apple Music and was also mindblowed. I am considering switching to the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

My question is, is this change worth it? Should I sell my S23 Ultra for Iphone 14 Pro Max ? Has anybody did the same ? Or should I wait for the new Iphone
We are already in June, wait a little for September, the iPhone 15 Pro Max will usher in the all new 3nm based Apple A series of chips, the current 14 PM is based on the same 5nm as 12 and 13 series, even it’s branded “4nm” for marketing purposes.

This is one of the few times you should truly wait as there will be significant changes in performance, battery life and possibly some new features to take advantage of the leap in chip tech.

Wad12355

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
London/Kiev

I did, and I have no regrets so far. I got the iPhone 14 Pro Max (previously, I had both for about a month or so). It is a nice phone but I have a MacBook pro.

Darkmninya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
I did, and I have no regrets so far. I got the iPhone 14 Pro Max (previously, I had both for about a month or so). It is a nice phone but I have a MacBook pro.
So what were the differences ? Could u tell which phone u liked more ?

Wad12355

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
London/Kiev
Owing to my MacBook Pro, I enjoy connectivity with the iPhone thanks to MacOS continuity. The iPhone has a far superior oleophobic coating on its screen compared to the S23 Ultra - a feature I appreciate as I do not use any additional protective screens.
In capturing media, the iPhone produces high-quality videos and great pictures. While the S23 Ultra does offer an optical zoom, its frustrating shutter lag is a significant drawback. The quality of the iPhone's pictures is not just good but also consistently reliable, unlike the S23 Ultra, where the outcome can often feel like a lottery.
The S23 Ultra is much bulkier than the iPhone 14 Pro Max, in my opinion. As for the screen quality, I prefer the iPhone. It appears brighter, and for reasons I can't pinpoint, the S23 Ultra's screen has a somewhat greenish tint when viewed from a certain angle.

Reactions: danb1979

Rodneyp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019

So I have done something like this except I switch back from a S22 back in January. I think it depends on your use. For me it was worth it because all of my family and most of my friend are apple users and it made communications easier in group chats. I have a kid we use screen time with and I lost being able to approve things when I switched over to the S22. While I did love the S22 the iPhone 14 Pro Max fits my use better.

I think since you have a working phone wait for the 15 comes out. Your are likely going to take a bit of a bath when you sell your S23 anyway verses what you paid and waiting 2 months will not change the value. I still have my S22 that I need to sell but think I may just keep it as a backup phone.

On another note I had a 12 PM before I switch to the the S22. I changed because of dropped calls and poor signal issues. My S22 was much better signal wise than my 12 PM. I have to say my 14 PM is just about as good as the S22. Looking back I think my 12 PM had a hardware issue as my wife's 12 Pro did not have the issues I had.

circlel05

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
Oklahoma
I recently switched back to Apple from Samsung. Moved my S23 Ultra to the wife’s line(she needed an upgrade anyway) and bought a 14 pro max. Thought about waiting for the 15, but I’m impatient and reading the rumors didn’t see enough to justify waiting.

Most of my family shakes their head at my phone obsession. I keep trying Samsung, but end up switching back to iOS.

Darkmninya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
It's difficult cause I got a MacBook and Apple TV and My Mum has a Ipad.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I went from 14 PM to the S23U back to the 14 PM in 2 weeks 😂

For me, the 14 PM is a superb phone and if you're into the Apple ecosystem; it makes a lot of sense!

Reactions: maxrest

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'm not so in love with Apple's hardware. Never have been. But I absolutely rely on the MacOS and iOS. I keep trying other operating systems like Android but always come running back to iOS. It just plain works.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We are already in June, wait a little for September, the iPhone 15 Pro Max will usher in the all new 3nm based Apple A series of chips, the current 14 PM is based on the same 5nm as 12 and 13 series, even it’s branded “4nm” for marketing purposes.

This is one of the few times you should truly wait as there will be significant changes in performance, battery life and possibly some new features to take advantage of the leap in chip tech.
This. If OP could hold on for a little while until the iphone 15 comes out...at that point you can evaluate price vs features for 3 phones. And if you want at that time, get the latest and greatest.

Reactions: Tsepz

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I went from 14 PM to the S23U back to the 14 PM in 2 weeks 😂

For me, the 14 PM is a superb phone and if you're into the Apple ecosystem; it makes a lot of sense!
Same, but I reverted on day 10 I think. Apple Watch, iMessage and Apple Card were the major contributing factors but there were plenty of little things that I can’t name off the top of my head.

I should also mention I’ve been using iPhones since the original so the likelihood of me being able to stay away is probably heavily diminished by the feeling of home with iOS.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Same, but I reverted on day 10 I think. Apple Watch, iMessage and Apple Card were the major contributing factors but there were plenty of little things that I can’t name off the top of my head.

I should also mention I’ve been using iPhones since the original so the likelihood of me being able to stay away is probably heavily diminished by the feeling of home with iOS.

See I'm as much an Android fan as I am Apple; but the S23U just left me cold...

It felt cheap in comparison to my 14 PM and the taller, thinner screen didn't do it for me...

However, I'm more than likely going to go for the Pixel Fold; it's form factor really appeals to me whereas the Z Fold 4 etc leave me cold due to their narrowness etc

I don't need the iPhone; I've sold my AWU as it just never gets used etc

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
See I'm as much an Android fan as I am Apple; but the S23U just left me cold...

It felt cheap in comparison to my 14 PM and the taller, thinner screen didn't do it for me...

However, I'm more than likely going to go for the Pixel Fold; it's form factor really appeals to me whereas the Z Fold 4 etc leave me cold due to their narrowness etc

I don't need the iPhone; I've sold my AWU as it just never gets used etc
How about that Razr+?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.