Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
So my girlfriend is abroad and currently has no mobile internet and most of the time she'll keep me up-to-date when she leaves the hotel. I clearly remember the option when you force touch the iMessage you just tried to send, you got the option to send it as a text message.
In iOS 12 beta 3 I don't get this option anymore. The only options I get are copy, send to e-mail address and More... The more option just open the interface to delete multiple messages and stuff.

In the settings of the messages app you still have the option to send text messages when iMessage isn't available, but the problem is her MacBook Air will still receive the iMessage...

Can you guys confirm the option is gone with you guys? Is the option still available in 11.4?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
If the imessage fails you tap it and select send as sms

edit: I think it shouldn't matter though if another device other than your phone gets it. If the phone fails to receive it, it should give a notice to the sender and give the option to send as sms. My guess is it can't tell because of encryption.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
HMM you mentioned it going to her Mac. If it has been delivered anywhere I don’t think you get the option to send as SMS. You only get the option for a short while as it tries to send maybe?

I’m not too sure about the Send as SMS option being missing but the whole thing about iMessages going to another device which they may not have on them (Like their iPad they leave at home) and not really being sure where it was delivered is a pain. ( I posted about it here once https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-on-multiple-devices-flaw.2012816/)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.