Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
I have a RAZR and I'm curious to know if I can send/receive faxes on my Mac with it using Bluetooth?

Is this possible? If so, where to I go to set it up?

Thanks in advance,

John

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Ok - did a bit of digging around and found the following buried in Mac help:

Faxing over Bluetooth is possible in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther), but not all wireless carriers and phones support faxing—and this function is not supported by AppleCare.

If you do want to add a Bluetooth-Modem fax device in Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must add it manually. Note: Faxing must be supported by the phone and wireless carrier, too, for this to work. Follow these steps to add the device in Tiger:

If you're using a Bluetooth adapter, connect it to your computer if it isn't.
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Print & Fax to display the preferences.
Click the Printing tab.
Click the plus sign (+) button; the Printer Browser window opens.
Option-click the More Printers button.
In the sheet that appears, choose Advanced from the top pop-up menu. (If you don't see Advanced in the menu, click Cancel and repeat the previous step.)
From the Device pop-up menu, choose Bluetooth-Modem. (If this doesn't appear, be sure that your Bluetooth adapter is connected.)
From the Printer Model pop-up menu, choose Other.
In the resulting "Choose a File" dialog, select your Mac OS X volume icon.
Click on the following folders—in this order—to navigate to the PrintCore.framework Resources folder:
System
Library
Frameworks
ApplicationServices.framework
Frameworks
PrintCore.framework
Resources
Select the appropriate folder for the language you are using. For example, North American English users should select English.lproj.
Select Fax.ppd and click Choose.
Click Add.

Once you pair your Bluetooth mobile phone with your computer, you should have the ability to send faxes using the Bluetooth-Modem (of course, faxing must be supported by the phone and wireless carrier too).

I don't know if this actually works as I've got no-one to send a fax to :)o), but give it a go and let us know if it works.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Thanks for digging that up

I tried everything shown and it seems to work except that apparently my phone doesn't support faxing. I haven't tried to receive a fax yet but I will. All that happens is OS X tries to dial my phone then gets an error message back. The number it's trying to dial shows up on the phone but from there nothing happens.

Thanks again,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.