Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
is there a app that if i send a sms text to someone that a diffrent number appears not mine and they can reply back?
kind of like the spoofapp..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you want them to able to reply back to you without disclosing your cell number, one option is to send the SMS via AIM (if you're in the US). You can just use the ten digit phone number in this format:

+1234567890

For any US/CAN phone number, as the "buddy" in AIM, and then they'll get it as SMS with the ability to respond to it.

If you're trying to pretend to be someone else so that you can send an SMS that seems like it's them, and then have someone else get really angry and send an SMS back to the person you were pretending to be... don't be that guy.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
If you want them to able to reply back to you without disclosing your cell number, one option is to send the SMS via AIM (if you're in the US). You can just use the ten digit phone number in this format:

+1234567890

For any US/CAN phone number, as the "buddy" in AIM, and then they'll get it as SMS with the ability to respond to it.

If you're trying to pretend to be someone else so that you can send an SMS that seems like it's them, and then have someone else get really angry and send an SMS back to the person you were pretending to be... don't be that guy.

so if i send it AIM will that expose my AIM name?

im looking for something that i can trick a fake number when they see my sms text and not see my real number

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, it exposes your AIM s/n....

So now I'm pretty much assuming you're up to no good... :p

AFAIK, think about it this way: if you somehow send a fake phone number to someone via SMS, there's certainly no way they can respond back to you, because the only place that the fake number is associated with your real number is in your phone in the spoofing app. So when they respond to the SMS, it will go back to the fake number and not you.

And again, besides being jackassery, if there's a real person on the other end of the "fake" number, you're quite possibly committing telecommunications fraud or some other prosecutable crime.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Yes, it exposes your AIM s/n....

So now I'm pretty much assuming you're up to no good... :p

AFAIK, think about it this way: if you somehow send a fake phone number to someone via SMS, there's certainly no way they can respond back to you, because the only place that the fake number is associated with your real number is in your phone in the spoofing app. So when they respond to the SMS, it will go back to the fake number and not you.

And again, besides being jackassery, if there's a real person on the other end of the "fake" number, you're quite possibly committing telecommunications fraud or some other prosecutable crime.

so this AIM sms text is pretty much like same as text by email..
do i have to put the carrrie at the end of the number? like +1234567890@vtext.com ect..

thanks

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Is there any legitimate reason for this kind of thing?

These high-school kids, they never learn (which is a shame, because they've got time allocated for just that).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
so this AIM sms text is pretty much like same as text by email..
do i have to put the carrrie at the end of the number? like +1234567890@vtext.com ect..

No -- that's a big advantage -- you don't even have to know the carrier. It works for all US/CAN devices capable of receiving SMS. You just enter the phone number with the +1 as the contact. On the phone, it looks like this:

265-060

yourscreenname: (using AOL IM)
your text message
(You can reply to this message)

Where the "265-060" appears as the phone number.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
No -- that's a big advantage -- you don't even have to know the carrier. It works for all US/CAN devices capable of receiving SMS. You just enter the phone number with the +1 as the contact. On the phone, it looks like this:

Where the "265-060" appears as the phone number.

thanks mkrishnan:):apple:

AustProp

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Sending Fake Sms to mobiles

Is it possible to send a fake sms to a mobile and that sms comes up as a particular person and number that is in the recipients phone?
A friend of mine received two nasty sms and they came up as from his mothers name and mobile number which is in his phone. She has denied was from her and reckons it is a fake? Can this happen please anyone? Is it possible?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.